Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:25 AM   #1

Default Good point and shoot to accompany DSLR

Hi all. I havent been on here in about a year since I bought my T1i and love it. My biggest concern is that I wouldnt want to pack it around all the time and I do actually seem to bring it just about everywhere we go, moreso than I thought I would. I am really glad I bought it and it is great for taking lots of pics of the baby. Anyways, there are certain times where it would be nice to just have a small camera with us so I dont always have to bring it. And we are goin on a trip here soon without the baby and while its just short business trip, it would be nice to have something decent and pocketable to take around for something like this. Don't want to spend a whole lot, but I guess a couple hundred or so would work.
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2

In my experience- most SLR users who want a simple "point and shoot" can soon find themselves feeling quite limited due to the lack of versatility they're used to.
However,two cameras spring to mind which should solve that problem-
the Panasonic TZ10 or the Canon SX220.
Both have wide angle lenses with long reaching zoom,both are image stabilised,both have a good movie mode(if that's your thing!!) and both have manual exposure modes- in addition to the point and shoot "auto" if you wish.
I think both of these would leave you satisfied and not feeling compromised in any way...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I noticed the SX230 when I was at Costco today. Is that the same thing but a newer model? It was $300 with a case and a memory card. That looked nice, but I'm trying to figure out if I should be spending that much on another camera that won't be used as often. But then again it will be nice to have one with us at all times so it may be used often!. Hmmm, so many choices!

I agree it will be nice to have some manual settings. Mainly being able to control the flash (if auto doesn't let you), and the ISO sometimes and the exposure. I use those a lot now. Is there anything that is under $200 that is pretty good and I won't be sacrificing too much from something like this, or is something like this really worth it? I think the big zoom is important to have since the camera could be used in situations where that would be useful. If I had to sacrifice one thing, I would say the low light situations wouldn't be as important. If I am going to be taking pictures indoors with this, it would probably be of people and a flash will work fine. The main reason I wanted the DSLR was for speed so if I am at a place where I expect my kid running around or something fast moving, I would probably have the DSLR anyways.
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:02 AM   #4

The SX230HS is the latest version- and a little more expensive..!
Another to consider- and the prices have dropped considerably- is the Fujifilm F70EXR.
A pretty well specified little fellow,capable of producing very good results.
One of the best for noise control,still has some manual control,plenty of zoom to play with and an image stabiliser. Only the HD video is missing- with the basic 640x480 at 30fps and mono audio.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:22 AM   #5

Canon S-95 not cheap but full manual, adjustable flash power, but not a great zoom.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Canon S100.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Canon S100.
Costs even more $$$$ not out til November.
On the other hand the S 95 price has come down.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote