Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:49 PM   #11

I don't know why, but I generally reject purchasing Sony stuff (not only digital cameras, also dvd players, TVs, etc etc...maybe it is not a wise position, but something that happens in my mind!)...but should I include the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V to my shortlist????
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
Up to now I have comments about FijiFilm's and Panasonic's Cameras...what about Canon, Olympus and Nikon???

AFAIK these are all power-zoom cameras. A manual zoom ring gives you much more control and allows far more precise framing, once you use one you'll never go back. I've tried the Canon SX30 IS, and while it's a decent camera, it doesn't allow nearly the level of control both my HS10 and HS20EXR give me.

The Canon superzooms do get good ratings because of their good IQ and ease of use, Nikon and Olympus not so much. The Nikon superzooms apparently suffer from image softness.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:36 PM   #13

Toshi, you mention a good point...manual zoom rings...
I think they are very useful, but I've read users opinions signalling that HSxx manual zoom ring are not soft as desired...but it seems as if you feedback is different from theirs.

I also love Canon's IQ and colors...right now, it seems as if my shortlist should consist in:
1. HS20
2. SX40 if professional reviews and users comments indicate it is a camera that must be considered
3. FZ150 (I have to evaluate it deeper).

Thank you all for your comments!

Regards!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:09 PM   #14

Eugenio, I think most of the complaints about the HS10/20's zoom rings are due to 'jerky' zooming while taking videos. It's almost impossible to move a manual zoom lens as smoothly as an electronic one, and since these are still-cameras that aren't optimized for video, that's perfectly understandable.

A bit stiff they might be, but the manual zooms on my cameras are still far quicker and more precise than any electronic zoom I've ever used.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshi43 View Post
Eugenio, I think most of the complaints about the HS10/20's zoom rings are due to 'jerky' zooming while taking videos. It's almost impossible to move a manual zoom lens as smoothly as an electronic one, and since these are still-cameras that aren't optimized for video, that's perfectly understandable.

A bit stiff they might be, but the manual zooms on my cameras are still far quicker and more precise than any electronic zoom I've ever used.
Toshi: Do you have any online album to see pics from your both HS?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:28 PM   #16

G'day eugenio

May I join this discussion & 'confuse' you as well
All the answers above are good ones too & if you pop out to my Flickr site you'll see lots of superzoom images

I have used & love sz cameras for some time now, and agree with toshi about manual vs auto zoom... there is so much more control in a manual zoom, it leaves the others way behind. My panny fz35 has a tendancy to 'overzoom' - when I press the zoom key to go 'out' or 'in', all too often it goes that fraction too far, making me tap the zoom key time & again to get it 'perfect'

Also - the fewer the pixels on the sensor, the better the IQ you will get
My older [now dead] fuji of 6mpx was ten-times better than the panny fz35 of 12mpx, and noise was a non-feature, whereas on my particular panny, noise is a disaster

Every camera maker fine-tunes the inbuilt processor to respond to colours in varying ways [the old kodak vs agfa colour response sort of thing], and when I compare my current panny images to the older fuji images, I prefer the fuji colours ... personal & subjective

Please come back with more Qs as they arise
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:37 PM   #17

I have decided on the Fuji S3200.cheaper than Pany and Oly ones, huge zoom, 14mp, small enough.No flash hot shoe, but dont think I'd need it too often as I zoom a lot.As for SLRs, to get the same zoom, I'd need to spend $2000.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Toshi: Do you have any online album to see pics from your both HS?
I haven't had the HS20 long enough to post much of anything to Flikr yet, but I will soon. I'll put up the link when I'm done.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Up to now I have comments about FijiFilm's and Panasonic's Cameras...what about Canon, Olympus and Nikon???

FiveO, do you have any specific comments about the Pannys?

Regards!
It depends on your needs. The FZ47/F48 has slightly better IQ than the FZ150, but as someone else mentioned, it lacks RAW. It also lacks a hot shoe and an articulating screen. If IQ is all that matters and you simply want the best you can get in a bridge cam, I think the FZ47/48 is the winner. If you can live with a very slight loss in IQ in exchange for all the bells and whistles and a much faster cam to boot, then the FZ150 is a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshi43 View Post
Eugenio, I think most of the complaints about the HS10/20's zoom rings are due to 'jerky' zooming while taking videos. It's almost impossible to move a manual zoom lens as smoothly as an electronic one, and since these are still-cameras that aren't optimized for video, that's perfectly understandable
I was going to make this very point, but seems you have already done so.

Quote:
I also love Canon's IQ and colors
I love the Canon colors also, but Panasonic has come a long way in the last year w/ colors. The FZ100 were superb and the colors on the current models look excellent also, especially on the FZ150. As for IQ, Panasonic wins there in the bridge cam category. All else being equal, the SX30 does a terrible job of removing CA (Chromatic Aberrations) in-camera and is really just cumbersome to handle imho.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:30 AM   #20

Thank you all for your comments!

I've done some research in Online sales sites in Argentina (similar to Ebay) and the cheapest offers I found were:

HS20: u$s650
FZ100: u$s600

Not prices yet for FZ150 or SX40

I will keep the analysis.

Keep in contact!