Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Searching for a SuperZoom!

I already own a Canon G11, and I'm very pleased with it.
Probably now I'm desiring to have more versatility in the wide end, and also a bigger zoom range...I know that a superzoom is not covering all aspects perfectly, but I'm thinking in a superzoom to add to the G11...

In that scenario, the HS10 came to my mind. Then I realized that it was replaced by the HS20...
So, now I'm searching for user's comments about the HS20, and its main changes (pros and cons) over the HS10...

Last week I saw that the SX40 was announced by Canon...perhaps I need to wait a little bit until it is launched and comments from real users became available...

I also see that there are other options such as the Lumix F150 & FZ47/48, Olympus SP-810UZ, Nikon P500 and L120...

Considering this range of cameras... Does any of them clearly overpass the other in overall performance???

Obviously that having a fast CMOS sensor should give me more features "to have fun with"...

In the past I considered buying a DSLR (today it should be a Canon T3i or a Nikon D5100), but right now I'm not sure if I want to spend that money in a camera that for sure will overpass my skills...
I think that with the G11, and adding a bigger zoom range camera with good IQ, it will be enough, at least until I master my photo skills and need to take the step to the next level!

Any suggestions in this search???

I wait for your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Regards!

Eugenio
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:57 PM   #2

Go for the Panasonic FZ150,you will not regret it.Don't just go by x zoom numbers.Compare the specs/IQ/and accessories available to extend its capabilities,you will find the FZ line beating them all.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:12 PM   #3

Of course I'm not running behind the X Zoom number, or the Mpix race...that's why I'm asking for suggestion beyond the different models I've seen in leader Manufacturers.

Besides it is in another segment, my father owns a Lumix FS7, and I'm disappointed with its general performance, mostly with its IQ and colours...and my brother owns a Lumix TZ5, and it is more or less the same...so I fear Pannys...

I will have to analize this deeply, and obviously suggestions and comments are always welcomed!

See you

Eugenio
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:41 PM   #4

I have both the HS10 and HS20EXR. I purchased the HS10 about six months ago. My girlfriend loved it so much that I lent it to her and got myself the HS20EXR.

Both cameras are very similar physically. The physical difference between the two is mainly the image sensor, processor and LCD screen. It is in the software where you notice the difference between the two. The HS10 has lost some features to the HS20EXR and vis a vis. You can read the specs to discover these differences.

As for image quality (a very subjective measurement), the HS10 (at 10MPix) generally out-performs the HS20EXR (at 16Mpix). However, if you throttle the HS20EXR back to 8MPix (image size M4:3), the HS20EXR out-performs the HS10. The only time that I go above 8MPix on the HS20EXR is with a well-lit outdoor scenic shot using a low ISO.

Neither of the HS's are easy to use. They both have very good scene recognition for their P&S modes, but to get the best out of these cameras, you need to lean and understand their inner workings. It is only then that you can fully appreciate their strengths and weaknesses. Both are also very good at macro and low light (static).

You can ways wait for a better camera to be released to suit your needs. This will happen regularly and you can continue waiting forever.

The street price for a new HS10 is now about 10% to 20% higher than a new HS20EXR - and the gap is still widening.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:29 AM   #5

Lumix F150 or FZ47/48 without a doubt. Better IQ than the competition and just far more mature cams than any of the competing models.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:45 AM   #6

Up to now I have comments about FijiFilm's and Panasonic's Cameras...what about Canon, Olympus and Nikon???

FiveO, do you have any specific comments about the Pannys?

Regards!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:27 AM   #7

...what about Canon, Olympus and Nikon???

Don't even think of them.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:42 AM   #8

If you do go other than panasonic go the HS20 way,but I would stiil insist on the FZ150/FZ40/48
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:11 AM   #9

And within the FZ group? which should be the first choice???
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:27 AM   #10

FZ150 first,if not the other is FZ40 /45 and FZ47 / 48 (No RAW option.)
To these you can add the LT55 x1.7 teleconverter which will make it 1020mm tele.You also can add the LC55 close-up lens.Also filters from the panasonic but you have to buy them separately,which you can later as and when funds are available to you.
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/c...cessories.html