Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Default New Olympus PEN EPL-1 lens or switch to Canon EOS Rebel T3?

OK, here's the scenario. I own an Olympus PEN EPL-1with the stock 14-42mm (28-84mm equivalent) lens. I really like the camera, and it takes great pictures, for most of my needs. Lately though I've been taking pictures of my kids sporting events, and I need a bit more zoom. So I looked at the M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 (80-300mm equivalent) lens, and also the non ED version (not really sure of the difference). They run around $250, but I would still have to switch lenses for some pics. The ideal solution for this camera is M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens, but that runs around $550. So that got me wondering if it would be better to look into switching to an entry DSLR over the Micro 4/3.
I found a great deal on a Canon Rebel T3 with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens, a Canon bag and a 4GB SD card, so I went ahead and bought it. However, I read some not so good things about the EF 75-300mm lens, and thats got me second guessing the decision. I haven't opened anything in the Canon bundle yet, so the question is - Do I stick with the EPL-1 and upgrade to one of those lenses, or do I "upgrade" to the entry level T3 DSLR with the two lenses? I'm not looking to do anything professional; this is just for family pics and my personal enjoyment....
MadOx75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

The 75-300 is a very poor lens, you will need at least the 70-300 USM for what you want to shoot. That is a 550 dollar lens. The 55-250 is ok, but it does not focus fast enough. And a big aperture 70-200 2.8 or 50-150 2.8 are even more.

So if you do jump to a dslr because you want to more zoom and want to keep up with your kids. It is going to be a bit of an investment.

PS,

I have the epl-1 with the 14-150, pretty nice lens, it is my travel lens of choice.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:50 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The 75-300 is a very poor lens, you will need at least the 70-300 USM for what you want to shoot. That is a 550 dollar lens. The 55-250 is ok, but it does not focus fast enough. And a big aperture 70-200 2.8 or 50-150 2.8 are even more.

So if you do jump to a dslr because you want to more zoom and want to keep up with your kids. It is going to be a bit of an investment.

PS,

I have the epl-1 with the 14-150, pretty nice lens, it is my travel lens of choice.
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to return the Canon setup, and just stick with my PEN for now. It really does take fantastic pictures. I honestly want that 14-150mm lens; maybe I'll start asking for some gift cards to the camera store for my birthday and Christmas...lol. Otherwise, I'll keep up the hunt for a good deal online for either it or the Zuiko 40-150mm.
MadOx75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangor,North Wales
Posts: 3,734
Default

Hi- you may want to factor in the fact that the Olympus body has image stabilisation- thus stabilising ANY lens you attach- particularly significant if you're shooting at longer focal lengths. Attaching stabilised lenses to the Canon may prove very expensive indeed. I have however heard that the Olympus is not the fastest camera on the block,so maybe that might be significant?
Canons vast range of accessories,though,would swing it for me...(a biased Canon user...lol).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:20 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

I would say that you've done the right thing for now at least. As already mentioned the 75-300 is pooooooooooooor to say the least. I would wait until you are sure of what you want to get out of shooting and then find the best solution as to me it sounds like there might be a couple of limiting factors as time goes on of focus speed and also lens quality. I used to shoot a lot of sports so know what the pressures on kit can be so choose wisely when you do make an upgrade.
__________________
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!


See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:00 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Hi- you may want to factor in the fact that the Olympus body has image stabilisation- thus stabilising ANY lens you attach- particularly significant if you're shooting at longer focal lengths. Attaching stabilised lenses to the Canon may prove very expensive indeed. I have however heard that the Olympus is not the fastest camera on the block,so maybe that might be significant?
Canons vast range of accessories,though,would swing it for me...(a biased Canon user...lol).
Believe me, I've coveted an EOS Rebel since a long haired Agassi was peddling them back in the day... I just don't think that the setup I picked up was enough of an upgrade over the PEN at this point, especially for my needs. Maybe next year I'll make the leap to the EOS Rebel 3i with that 55-250mm IS lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would say that you've done the right thing for now at least. As already mentioned the 75-300 is pooooooooooooor to say the least. I would wait until you are sure of what you want to get out of shooting and then find the best solution as to me it sounds like there might be a couple of limiting factors as time goes on of focus speed and also lens quality. I used to shoot a lot of sports so know what the pressures on kit can be so choose wisely when you do make an upgrade.
That lens was what absolutely killed the deal for me. I couldn't find one review that was better than average for it. If it had the better IS lens I would have kept it.
MadOx75 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:19 AM.