Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:33 PM   #1

Default Is a Canon 10D a good started camera?

I will be having my first child in January and want to get a solid camera for me to be able to shoot photos of my child and our family. Is the 10D a good choice for me? I want something that I'll be able to shoot a moving baby as well as some sports.

Thanks for your help!
HeIsIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:35 PM   #2

The 10d is extremely old - I wouldn't count on a used one working for too long. I would recommend a more modern DSLR - preferably new, not used
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:01 PM   #3

Whilst the 10D is a very good camera,bear in mind it uses the older EF mount as opposed to the later EF-S mount,thus you're are restricting your lens availability.
I would recommend(strongly as I own one..!) going for the 20D as there are still some very clean examples around for sale and they have the later EF-S lens mount. Also,the burst mode is twice as fast as the older 10D- 5fps as opposed to 2.5fps and with a larger buffer- a must if you're going to shoot sports.
I can't praise the 20D enough- and as a fast,robust quality picture taker,it cannot be beaten on price at the current 2nd hand prices. Maybe stretch to the 30/40D if the budget allows... though you won't be gaining much by doing so...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:43 PM   #4

Default Thanks JohnG and Simon40

I appreciate and value your opinions. And I thank you for your quick responses! I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 20d.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:54 AM   #5

Keep in mind - the 20d is an old camera model as well. What you don't know when you buy one of these older cameras is when the shutter will fail (or anything else). When that happens, the camera is shot (you're not going to spend $400 to replace the shutter on a camera you bought for $200). I still have an old 20d and they're a very fine camera. But, it's always a gamble buying something that's been around for 6 years. Impossible to tell how close that shutter is to failure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:36 PM   #6

40D or 50D is an option too. Great cameras
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:43 PM   #7

why not look at 450d or even a 500d. remember that for sports you will require a good fast lens and that will put up the cost
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
why not look at 450d or even a 500d. remember that for sports you will require a good fast lens and that will put up the cost
For sports you also need a camera with a fast FPS. 40D or 50D will give you that.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:18 PM   #9

Default Thanks JohnG, koolpc and wave01

Thanks for all the advice!

This is turning into an easier decision now that yall have helped educate me on what I should be looking for. I will look for something newer as far as the body goes, now what should I be looking for as far as the lenses go? What numbers should I look for? Keeping in mind I want to shoot sports and kids.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:39 AM   #10

Lenses and sports shooting..... be prepared to spend some cash....!!
Outdoors I can get away with using the Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 VR lens,with a supremely versatile zoom range and fairly swift focusing. For indoor sports though I'd struggle with this,needing a much faster/wider aperture.
Canon's 70-200 f/2.8 lens would suffice here,though would cost you a bit..!!
If you want to see how my Tamron performed at this years Snowdon Race, go to-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4197640...th/5993957335/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote