Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:59 AM   #1

Default P7000/7100 vs SX30 IS ... My husband is driving me crazy!!

So about a year ago I bought a Sony DSLR thanks to some help here. I love it (except there is dirt or something on the sensor that I can't get off with a blower and I can see it when I use my zoom lens but that's another issue).

We've run in to an issue lately. We can't or don't want to take the DSLR with us everywhere. Like concerts, they don't allow cameras with removeable lenses. So I got him a Canon S95 (because of P&S info I read said it would do best with low light...like at a concert). But he didn't like the zoom. So we exchanged it for the Canon SX30.

He likes the zoom. But I find it to be nearly as cumbersome as the DSLR (with just the kit lens). And the zoom, while nice, isn't so great on the long end. I find that focusing is really, really rough sometimes, even in the mid-range.

So far, I'm just not so happy with it. Maybe its because I'm spoiled with my Sony. I dunno.

I've been considering the P7000 or P7100 (he likes screens that move). I don't think he'll like the 7x zoom, but for me, if the image quality is significantly better, and it focuses a little easier, I'm hoping he will get over it.

And while he has his demands, he won't actually use the camera that much. He will still expect me to be the picture taker. He doesn't get the whole more zoom isn't always better thing...

I have about 7 more days to exchange at Best Buy or just keep the SX30....I'm not sure yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:25 AM   #2

If low light is not a top priority, but zoom and size, have you thought about a compact travel zoom? Like canon sx210, panasoniz zs8, and if you like Sony, they have a couple too...
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:16 PM   #3

Image quality is the top priority. We need a good walk around camera for family outings, like Seaworld, and something for concerts. I know concerts are pushing it, but I cant take my dslr with me for those.

I guess Im just wondering if I went with a medium zoom if I would get a better quality than a superzoom.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4

I would ditch the SX30 personally. The Panasonic FZ series cams are just better overall imho and even the new Canon SX40 IQ looks better than the SX30. I think the SX30 was just a flop. Besides, if you really want it, check out Target if you have one near you. They had them on final clearance for about $200 last week or so, which imho is really still too much for that cam.

Skip the P7000. The P7100 is very new, but it supposedly addresses all of the big problems with the P7000 (e.g. speed of operation). If you lose a little zoom, the new S100 and last year's G12 both offer 5x zoom and have a similarly sized sensor. There is also the Panasonic LX5 and Olympus XZ-1 to consider. All of these will do noticeably better in low light than the SX30 and are all much smaller as well.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:17 PM   #5

Thanks FiveO for the info.

I'm limited to what Best Buy has because we made our initial purchase there and I can exchange for a different camera and avoid a restocking fee. I would be greatly annoyed to have to pay a restocking fee...even if it is my fault (letting him talk me in to a camera I hadn't read up on...I'm a researcher).

I'm hesitant on the P7100 now because it is so very new. On paper it sounds like it would be a good fit, tho I think he would want a little more zoom. He bought the S95 first and didn't like the zoom. We took it to a concert and while I think it did well, we were sitting too far away.

He wants a concert camera that will zoom when we sit far away and he can tell who is on stage. I don't think there is a camera that will do that. We have a 7 megapixel, 10x optical Sony cam from like 2001 that did a decent job...but it takes 5 pictures and kills the rechargables...it's had a rough life though.

I think we are going to have to give up on the concert scenario. At least when we sit far away, which is most of the time, but oh well. If we are going to have another camera, then it should be somewhat compact (we have a big camera...the DSLR), but we also have a Panasonic TS2 for the beach, waterpark, etc that fits in our pocket.

So I think we are narrowing it down to something in between like the G12 (I haven't read up on the S100 yet), maybe the P7100 for better low light performance. Or we may just have to give up on that and get a travel-zoom like maybe the sx-130? (if I can still get it at best buy, they only show the 150 online and I'm wary of new camera models that haven't been reviewed yet...)

My biggest concern is that the g12 and the ZX-1 have 4 and 5x optical zoom, and he already did not like the 3.8 on the S95. Our 14 days our almost up on the SX30, so may just have to go and see what Best Buy has.

As for video, which isn't a big deal, who would you say had better video?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:10 PM   #6

I don't think Best Buy charges a restocking fee anymore. They did away with it awhile ago and when I was in there two nights ago, the sales associate mentioned it during his spiel.

GL with your camera search.
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:15 PM   #7

The SX130 is a good cam but the smaller sensor size means it will do worse than the P7100, G12, etc. at concerts, where there is usually very little light.

As for video, go for a CMOS sensor, as they are faster and you will also avoid streaking with bright light sources (e.g. spotlights at concerts). Panasonic and Sony usually do best w/ video with Canon not far behind. Nikon and Olympus typically do poorly in this area, but keep in mind that when I say "poorly", it's simply relative to what you can get from the other cams and still might be fully acceptable for you.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:41 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, it really did help.

We talked about it and decided we'd rather have a compact-ish travel zoom over a low-light concert camera. Because unless we had really good seats, I don't think he was going to be happy with the zoom on any of the lowlight point & shoots.

He's a big fan of Sony and we have had good luck with them in the past (2 point&shoots and a DSLR) so we went with the HX9V. Knowing its limitations, so far I'm pretty impressed. Haven't had a lot of practice with it, but I must say, the auto Panorama is very cool. It might not be perfect, but its easy and good enough for computer/web viewing.

Thanks again!

Diana