Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:49 PM   #11

Thanks Simon and Phil.
I really appreciate your answers.
I will think about the new information!
Shibuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:57 PM   #12

Hey just a comparison. I tried the SX30 in a store. I must say I disliked it. It felt too pastic-y to me, and it was too slow for my taste. Of course, 5-10 min in a store isnt exactly a full, in depth review. I would love to try the HS10 (and that was one of my options), but I never got around to finding one in a shop...
photonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:32 PM   #13

G'day again Shibuya & Pn

My first digi camera was a Fuji S-5000, great camera, did 90,000 frames before the on/off switch stopped working. Great zoom lens [14x], no discernable noise by today's standards, good feel with the body ergonomics etc etc

Just to add to Pn's response above, I replaced the fuji with a canon SX-1 about 2 years ago and dumped it after 6 weeks - lost 50% of its $$ but was happy to see the back of it. I had bought it sight-unseen, from an on-line shop & I had chosen it from its specs...

The biggest 'fault' was with the rotary dial on the back was a dual-use item ... 'press' it to activate a menu, 'rotate' it to change option values

So often when I was rotating it to alter say, the EV+/- values, it would go into a menu that would then require me to go all thru the menu bits till I could get out, then I would continue the rotary action to fix the EV+/- I started out doing. It was a disaster - ALSO - the viewfinder was one of the worst EVF viewfinders I have ever used, and the lens over 15x zoom was 'disappointing' to say the least

So comes the experience & suggestion ... handle it first and make your choices from there
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:20 PM   #14

Thanks Phill and Pn!

I love when I login and I notice that there are answers!
I don't know if I will be able to go to a shop and try all my options, but I will try!
I have new doubts.
1. What is the difference between CCD and CMOS sensors? Which one is the best?
2. About the stabilizer. I kept Canon among my options because I read this cam has the best stabilizer and autofocus when using zoom. Thinking about indoor shots, Canon would offer better pics? Other cam's pics will be blurred?
Cinara (my first name!)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:41 PM   #15

Hands down I would recommend the Fuji HS20. It is simply the best camera I have ever used. I don't understand the comments about how bad night images or low light images are with this camera. I just use the built in flash or a hot shoe flash and get good images. This camera as was my Fuji HS10 is a work horse for me. I take pictures for the local newspaper with it. Also unlike some of the other comments about this camera I don't feel the need to use a tripod when I shot at more than 15x, even at 30x I don't feel the need to pull out my tripod. I could go on and talk about this camera all night so I think its best of you have questions about it post them or PM me and I will get back to you.

also using Sanyo Eneloops with this camera you get amazing battery life with this camera. Sometimes I can take 700+ images.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:40 AM   #16

Dave,
Thanks for your answer. I watched some videos on the internet testing this camera. Using the full zoom, during video recording, the image was blurred for some seconds before the focus could be reached, and sometimes the camera didn't find the focus. What do you think? Is it a problem just during video recording or does it happen during shots?
Regards, Cinara
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:25 PM   #17

G'day Cinara

CCD vs CMOS ... some people will 'specify' that one is better than the other ... each has + points. To my way of thinking, it's a bit like petrol engines vs diesel engines ... both have their advantages for certain types of vehicles [wikipedia will give you more info if desired]

For us as 'weekend photographers', I personally do not think there is any advantage to either type.

The "IS" component of superzoom cameras is either lens or sensor-movement based, again ... [as above]

In recent months I have handled the Fuji HS20 and the Canon sx20 and the panny FX100 ... they all seem to be 'nice' cameras, however for my preferences, I would put the canon last in my preferences

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:53 PM   #18

Thanks Phil,
Whatching some movies from those cameras on you tube, Canon seems to have the best stabilizer, which makes a huge difference for video. Why do you put it in the last in your preferences?
Cinara
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
CCD vs CMOS ... some people will 'specify' that one is better than the other ... each has + points. To my way of thinking, it's a bit like petrol engines vs diesel engines ... both have their advantages for certain types of vehicles
I agree. CMOS sensors are faster, cheaper, and use less power. CCD sensors, on the other hand, offer better IQ (at the P&S sensor size anyway). I suspect this is due, at least in part, to the use of increased NR (noise reduction) to combat the additional noise produced by CMOS. In the last year or so, the gap has narrowed in terms of IQ, but CCD still has the clear advantage at present. For video, each has their own major issue: CMOS has rolling shutter effects and CCD suffers from streaking w/ very bright lights. So it really depends on one's particular needs as to which is the better option.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:02 PM   #20

G'day Cinara

you ask...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
Thanks Phil, Watching some movies from those cameras on you tube, Canon seems to have the best stabilizer, which makes a huge difference for video. Why do you put it in the last in your preferences? Cinara
May I continue the camera vs automotive analogy...
A motor car might have a very good engine to allow it to go at a good top speed, but very poor brakes to slow it down later on [you can guess the result]

A camera might have a very good lens but a poor [pick whatever you like]

For we as users of cameras, the camera is a very complex item ... lens, exposure meter system, shutter speeds + apertures, menus, short-cut buttons + 1000 other little things ... and the final result is a compromise of good ideas from the design team vs the expense of making it a Rolls-Royce-priced wonder-camera

So to answer your Q of "Why do you put it in the last in your preferences?" pop back a couple of days to see my comment about "the biggest fault...."

Regards, Phil