Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:15 PM   #1

Default Need help quick - leaving for Africa in 10 days!

I am looking for advice on the best camera for me. I don't do fashion or portraits, mostly landscape and general family type pictures. I do some shooting of professional pool tournaments where low light is a concern, so good low light (low noise/good focusing) and fast burst rate is a big plus. I currently own a Minolta with a few lenses, but am willing to make the switch to Canon/Nikon if they have a better camera for me. I am overwhelmed by all the options, please help! Looking to spend around $800-1100 or so with one lens, can go a little higher if I can justify it.
tjstyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:31 PM   #2

Sony bought out Minolta, so by by looking at the Sony dSLR cameras you should be able to use your old lenses. I would probably buy a kit so that at least you would have a lens that auto focuses with auto aperture.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Here are some suggestions...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

The 18-250mm lens would essentially give you everything in one lens, no changing, easy...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:05 PM   #3

Are your current lenses autofocus? If so, you can use all your current lenses on any Sony dSLR or SLT.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:16 PM   #4

I know Sony cameras will work for my Minolta lenses, but if a Sony isn't the best choice for cameras in my price range I have no problem starting over with Canon or Nikon. I bought all my lenses used so I don't have a ton of money tied up in them. The mega zoom lens that comes with the Sony was not very well reviewed, so while I would like the convenience I am not willing to settle for a poor performing lens.
tjstyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:57 PM   #5

"Megazoom" lenses as a rule, aren't as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. Sony's 18-55mm kit lens is about as good as the ones from Canon and Nikon.

For shooting action in low light, you need large apertures and/or high ISOs. My guess is you'll need a large aperture, moderate telephoto lens. Both Canon and Nikon have relatively inexpensive 85mm f/1.8 lenses which might be appropriate for what you want to do. Sony has an 85mm f/2.8 lens that's less expensive. They all have 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, plus Sigma and Tamron both make their own for Canon, Nikon, and Sony bodies. For any of those brands, the cost of an appropriate lens plus an appropriate body will exceed your budget. If you already have a Minolta lens that will cover the range of focal lengths and apertures you think you'll need, I think you'd be better off with a Sony. Sony's A55 does well at high ISO settings, has a fast continuous shooting speed, and uses an eye-level electronic viewfinder that automatically adapts to low light situations.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote