Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Default Camera with Full Manual Settings Control

Guys,
I am looking for a camera with full manual settings control, apart from Aperture Priority and Shutter Speed priority. I should be able to manually set the Aperture and Shutter Speed of my choice. My budget is around $200. I prefer Canon or Nikon.
harishkumar09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:43 PM   #2

In that price range, the Canon SX130 gets my one and only vote.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
In that price range, the Canon SX130 gets my one and only vote.
Thank you for your reply FiveO. I am sorry for the late reply, I was out of station, in the boondocks.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:49 PM   #4

If you want a large zoom range in addition to the usual PASM modes then Samsung's WB700 might be worth a look... but yes,SX130is is a good suggestion- as is the newer SX150is...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
If you want a large zoom range in addition to the usual PASM modes then Samsung's WB700 might be worth a look... but yes,SX130is is a good suggestion- as is the newer SX150is...
Thanks Simon40, but the reviews say the camera SX130/150 is poor when it comes to low light handling. What do you think?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:07 AM   #6

I think you are asking more than $200 will buy. All cameras in this price range, plus $200 more will have poor low light preformance.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
I think you are asking more than $200 will buy. All cameras in this price range, plus $200 more will have poor low light preformance.
Oh you mean to say that I will not get good low light performance until I am willing to shell out at least $400?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
Oh you mean to say that I will not get good low light performance until I am willing to shell out at least $400?
It cost me $499 for the Canon G12, you can get one now for around $445. The Canon s95 also preforms well in low light, and is more compact than the G12. But then again; it all depends on what you call good.

I get more or less noiseless images to ISO 800, beyond that the higher the ISO the more noise. 1600 is about tops, maybe a little more if you stick with small prints.

Really good low light performance, only begins after you purchase a DSLR. Less than that, you have to accept some compromise.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
Thanks Simon40, but the reviews say the camera SX130/150 is poor when it comes to low light handling. What do you think?
Nearly all compact cameras(with small sensors) suffer in terms of low light ability- however if you're prepared to sacrifice some zoom range then maybe go for a compact with a faster lens(f/1.8-2).
Examples are- Canon S95,Samsung EX-1,Olympus XZ-1 and the Nikon P300.
All of these theoretically should yield better results in low light- as they would not have to utilise high iso settings so readily. All have the PASM modes- though they are unfortunately out of your desired price bracket- however,the Nikon is pretty close- and is probably my favourite of the bunch..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
It cost me $499 for the Canon G12, you can get one now for around $445. The Canon s95 also preforms well in low light, and is more compact than the G12. But then again; it all depends on what you call good.

I get more or less noiseless images to ISO 800, beyond that the higher the ISO the more noise. 1600 is about tops, maybe a little more if you stick with small prints.

Really good low light performance, only begins after you purchase a DSLR. Less than that, you have to accept some compromise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Nearly all compact cameras(with small sensors) suffer in terms of low light ability- however if you're prepared to sacrifice some zoom range then maybe go for a compact with a faster lens(f/1.8-2).
Examples are- Canon S95,Samsung EX-1,Olympus XZ-1 and the Nikon P300.
All of these theoretically should yield better results in low light- as they would not have to utilise high iso settings so readily. All have the PASM modes- though they are unfortunately out of your desired price bracket- however,the Nikon is pretty close- and is probably my favourite of the bunch..!
Thanks Steve40 and Simon40. I appreciate your advice and take action accordingly. Since I often go to remote parts of India and do not have the internet connection, I was unable to reply immediately. Sorry for the delay.