Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Looking for the right Nikon please help! :)

Hello Everyone

My fiance and I are looking to purchase a camera as our wedding gift to each other. We both enjoy photography and are looking for a Nikon that is full frame (a request from him) and something that is not the size of an ipad that can be carried around easily (a request from me).

Other then that I am not super picky just looking for a DSLR that we can use for everyday use usually on our 3 year old son or our chocolate lab, and something that we can take with us on our honeymoon that won't break our back

Any input is welcome and I am open for suggestions. I know it sounds strange but it could be the best camera in the world and if I don't like the feel of it I won't use it.

Please help!!

Thank you in advance!!

Teresa
jacobsmommyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsmommyy View Post
My fiance and I are looking to purchase a camera as our wedding gift to each other. We both enjoy photography and are looking for a Nikon that is full frame (a request from him) and something that is not the size of an ipad that can be carried around easily (a request from me).
These sound like two different cameras to me.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:19 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply

I am not looking for something to toss in my purse and take with me. I just don't want something the size of an iPad ... does that still sound like 2 different cameras? I am going to go out tonight and look at some camera's to get a feel of what I like. Just trying to get some input before I go
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsmommyy View Post
Thank you for your reply

I am not looking for something to toss in my purse and take with me. I just don't want something the size of an iPad ... does that still sound like 2 different cameras? I am going to go out tonight and look at some camera's to get a feel of what I like. Just trying to get some input before I go
It does to me. FF cameras are BIG. You might consider sharing lenses and getting two different bodies, though -- either a DX body for you or even one of the new CX format Nikons for you. I am assuming that, if you are considering FF, money is not a limiting factor for you.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #5

The only camera in Nikon that is full frame (but won't completely break the bank) is the D700 (NOT the D7000). You need to go to a store and handle the camera to ensure it meets your size/weight requirements. It's one thing to talk about camera size, it's another to handle it in person.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:12 PM   #6

Thank you so much for your input . I plan on going tonight to handle some cameras as long as the three year old isn't cranky.

Well we talked it over and he is willing to give up full frame. I think I narrowed it down to the nikon d300s, d3100 and the d5100. Not really sure at this point just gathering info about the three and I hope to use them tonight

)
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:35 PM   #7

You might also include the D7000 in that list. John was just warning you that the Nikon numbering system for FX/DX cameras is confusing, not suggesting that you avoid that camera.

You are covering the entire range of DX cameras with that line-up. Things to notice between the different models include: viewfinder brightness (D7000 and D300s have a much brighter pentaprism, while the lower-end cameras have a less expensive and darker pentamirror); internal focusing motor (the D7000 and D300s have a built-in focusing motor while the others don't. This is important if you hope to buy used lenses. Most current lenses have the focusing motor in the lens, which is typically faster. But, for people who want to save money on lenses, buying older used lenses can save a lot of money if you know what you are doing); video quality (the new lower-end cameras, D3100 and D5100, have better video capabilities if that matters to you); LCD resolution (the D3100 resolution is quite low, making it difficult to tell whether a photo was sharp or not, even when fully zoomed. The others have higher res LCDs, which facilitate this and focusing manually in Live mode, if that ever comes up); and most important of all, the ergonomics of the camera in your hands.

Personally, I would suggest skipping the D3100 and evaluating the other three Nikons. They all have advantages and disadvantages. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the D300s has a lot of expensive features that you just aren't interested in -- although, if memory serves, it is only one of the lot that is weather-sealed, which is a huge plus even for casual photographers.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:58 PM   #8

Thank you very much for all the info. We thought about the D7000 as well so it was on the list but i am trying to narrow it down and i think i am on research overload lol. I think i need to go and just hold these cameras and go from there.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:16 AM   #9

Suspect you are looking at them this weekend...

Here is another perspective.
The D90 and D300s are older but still available new and generally at a dicount to their original price. The D7000 effectively replaced the D90, but with the advances becomes a D7000 vs D300s decision. Those two are so close in performance, D300s has the ruggedness and increased weight, while the D7000 is rugged, but not to D300s level, and has the advantage of lower price and video capability superior to the D300s and the D90. If I were to upgrade my D90 which supports my hard commercial use, the D7000 would be my choice - and my only choice if I expand my offerings to include video. I am fortunate, that I don't HAVE to today and can wait an see what Nikon replaces the D300 with in about a year. Rumor has it that their next announcement later this month will be replacing the full frame D700 with the D800. Of that rumor, I hope the pricing rumor is wrong, jumping a $2600 D700 body to $4000 D800 body.

The D3100 and D5100 are very nice cameras at an entry level. They are also more compact, so would be the opposite extreme of the Full size camera. It would be important to handle each camera to see just how well fit your hand. While the 3100/5100 have the same body size, from the D90 on up they become progressively larger with the biggest jump at full frame. To even feel a fullframe F700 or larger D3, and even the D300s, you would probably have to go to a dedicated camera store as the big box stores don't carry them.

Hope that helps put the Nikon line in perspective.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:32 PM   #10

The D300s is a beast.

The D90 is old.

The D7000 and D5100 are about the same size and weight, but the D7000 is much more capable. On the other hand, the D5100 is less expensive, leaving a bigger portion of your budget for lenses and accessories. They both use the same image sensor, so image quality is about the same.

If you had older lenses or would be investing in used lenses, I'd say spend the money on the D7000, but if you're starting from scratch with all new gear, I'd say get the D5100 and spend the extra money on good lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote