Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Sony HX100V or Canon SX30IS (Newbie) "Bridge"?

Hey guys,
And thanks for letting me join the forum.

Well, Im a fairly new camera user. And its time to put down the old worn out 8mp point and shoot Kodak that ive had for eons.

My wife (married last week) has mentioned from time to time that she has always wanted a DSLR camera. But neither her nor I have any real experience to be using one of these yet. And after chatting with my professor who is an avid photographer, she mentioned a "bridge" camera. She pulled up quickly the Canon SX30IS that is the upgrade from her previous version Canon that she had before her DSLR. She said a "bridge" would be good to learn with and get accustomed to settings, so the jump to DSLR from there wouldnt be so drastic. Also in turn, that woudl allow me to have a GREAT camera to shoot with (im somewhat of a camera junkie) when she upgrades.

So I went looking online at reviews of the Canon, and I really liked what I heard. Then I noticed the Nikon P500 and liked it also. These two were in the right price range of what I was wanting to spend (around 300-400 dollars). So I noticed that the Nikon had some lower specs, and that it was the "lesser" of the two. So I ventured off to best buy to take a look see at them.

When I arrived at Best Buy, first think i noticed was~ I didnt like the grip on the SX30IS. I loved the grip on the Nikon. But liked the features of the Canon better.

Then I spotted the $100 more SONY dsc-hx100v..... I liked the features, liked the fit, but wasnt so fond of the price. I dont know if i was fond of the 3d option or not (dont own a 3d tv) and Im not sure if i liked the non-articulating screen, nor the "charge battery through camera" option. Im pretty set in the fact that I am buying a camera this weekend, and Ive even found a 10% off Best buy coupon that will work for me..... Everything is saying BUY IT BUY IT.... But im reluctant.

I wanted to hear your feedback, on the Sony HX100v over the Canon SX30IS. I guess it doesnt help that when looking on dpreview that i found out that there is a Canon SX40 that jsut popped up too.....

This would be used for an all around camera, for both action and still, macro and zoom. Maybe an occassional video to post up on youtube, but nothing crazy. I know the camera is a little bulky, but im thinking that is the sacrifice we would make to get into a super zoom bridge cam.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK BEFORE I RUN OFF AND BUY!!!!! Im willing to pay the $100 difference if the camera is worth it... Thanks in advance!
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:15 PM   #2

If you've been looking at the Sony HX100V (as I have!) then you've pretty much covered the potential budget for bridge cameras... and on that score,if the Canon takes your fancy,I'd go for the SX40 as opposed to the SX30- simply on the basis that it's so much faster to use,with the SX30 having no effective burst mode(CMOS sensor V's CCD)... though with few reports/pic uploads yet,I've no idea as to the picture quality.
What was "missing" on the P500..?
Some rave about the Panasonic FZ150.... but,again- not much to go on yet....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:33 PM   #3

My biggest downfall for the canon (and this is a big one) is THE GRIP. I hate the way it feels in my hands. It feels like it could fall at any moment???? Im guessing the SX40 will be the same way. That plus i heard Low Light situations with the Canon are not that good....

When I brought up these things to the person that recommended it to me, her comment was "Ergonomics are probably the most important" and "use a hand held flash!" I wasnt too keen on carrying around a handheld flash... Im an on the move person, and dont really want to lug a bunch of extras with me.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:44 AM   #4

Anyone else have an opinion? I didnt buy this weekend..... YET....
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:51 PM   #5

I wonder.... can you wait a bit...?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39519584
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:57 PM   #6

Is there any specs on that thing? And whats the price range? Id be interested to see a comparison.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:46 PM   #7

I just recently did a superzoom search. I tried out the SX30 and it went back. I ended up buying the HX9v, the little brother to the HX100 and I think its a great camera. It works really well in Auto. But I can't speak to the HX100.

Have you thought of purchasing through Amazon? They have a great 30-day money back guarantee.

If not, I had great success with Best Buy. But, if you do return a camera with Best Buy, you only get 14 days, and you can exchange without a restocking fee but if you want a refund there is a restocking fee.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:27 PM   #8

Yeah, I thought of Amazon--- But i can get a better discount and not have to wait if i buy it at Best Buy...

Thanks for the tip on the SX30-
Ill take a look at the hx9 too.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:00 PM   #9

You know, for a big chain Best Buy has been really good to me over the years. I like their accident insurance and customer service. And I have a credit.card with them but have always used it for big purchases so I got the 18 months no interest.

But their memory cards are a bit over priced and only a class 4.

Good luck
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:21 PM   #10

Another teaser...
http://www.cameragearguide.com/5116/...a-better-look/