Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Canon ELPH 310 HS vs. Canon SX230HS

I'm trying to decide on a new camera. In the past few years we've had 2 Sony CyberShots that we did not like, and currently we have the Panasonic Lumix ZS3 which is ok, but the lens is scratched and has dirt on the inside. The pictures seem kind of dark on the Panasonic too. So we're wanting to go back to Canon, which I've had before and absolutely loved!

Which camera would you choose, the Canon ELPH 310 HS or the Canon SX230HS? I prefer the built-in flash on the ELPH 310, but like the 14x optical zoom on the SX230. I guess what it comes down to for me would be the picture quality. Would love to hear some opinions on both of these cameras! Thanks

ETA ~ I would also like to hear some opinions on the Canon ELPH 500 HS, it seems like a great camera, but it only has 4.4x optical zoom. Is the picture quality worth giving up the extra zoom?

Last edited by DutchGirlinTexas; Oct 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
DutchGirlinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2

i have been researching these same canon's for about a year now. it really comes down to zoom, do you need it or want it.. I have compared pictures to pictures on sites and it comes down to the 500 and 230 being on top. but the 500 does have less zoom plus is a touch screen... so that can be a hate it or love it thing. I finally decided on the 220/230 but now i hear they are coming out with a 20/230 replacement in feb with a digi 5 processor instead of the 4 which will be way better.... and the 510 to replace the 500 and it has 12 times zoom.... so now i am on a hold off again waiting for reviews on these 2 to come out, which i know will be months yet....but for me i will be much happier i think with one of the 2 new ones coming out, so i will wait. unfortunately i have 2 trips booked that i will be stuck using my fuji f70exr with
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:36 PM   #3

I have the Elph 300HS and love it, it is mainly used by my wife for quick shots and carrying around with us to capture spur of the moment shots. I love that Canon changed the sensor type and dropped down the MP, image quality is fantastic.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
i have been researching these same canon's for about a year now. it really comes down to zoom, do you need it or want it.. I have compared pictures to pictures on sites and it comes down to the 500 and 230 being on top. but the 500 does have less zoom plus is a touch screen... so that can be a hate it or love it thing. I finally decided on the 220/230 but now i hear they are coming out with a 20/230 replacement in feb with a digi 5 processor instead of the 4 which will be way better.... and the 510 to replace the 500 and it has 12 times zoom.... so now i am on a hold off again waiting for reviews on these 2 to come out, which i know will be months yet....but for me i will be much happier i think with one of the 2 new ones coming out, so i will wait. unfortunately i have 2 trips booked that i will be stuck using my fuji f70exr with
I wish I could wait until February, the 220/230 replacement sounds great! But I don't want to have to take our Thanksgiving/son's birthday/Christmas pictures with a scratched & dirty lens
The ELPH 510 sounds great, but I'm a little nervous about buying a camera that hasn't proven itself yet. I wonder when it will be available? Would love to read some reviews...

I tried the ELPH 500 in the store yesterday and liked it, the touchscreen is different, but I could get used to it. But the lack of zoom is what makes me go back to the SX230. I really liked that one when I tried it, but I'm a little worried about the pop-up flash, it seems like it might break or get dirty very easily. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by DutchGirlinTexas; Oct 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM.
DutchGirlinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:20 PM   #5

i agree whole heartily.... the pop up flash is what got me interested in the 510. I don't like it! and it's only 2 times zoom less, so if pics are just as good then i'm game! i seen some pics on http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...p2=10944&ph=27 and it looks pretty good. Couldn't find pics anywhere else yet to compare with.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:24 AM   #6

This thread is really interessting, because i was thinking about exactly the same cams. (510 or 230) So i hope you don't mind me writing here too.

I thought about the 510, because I love the idea of a touch screen. I haven't tried it yet, but i could imagine getting better shots in difficult situations beacause you can chose the area you want the focus on pretty exact.

You got me really interessted with the news of the 230 upgrade. Do you have any more news what it will feature, a link maybe?
Nies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7

no i don't... i had read info on another forum but i can't find those threads now... all i remember reading was that it will be in feb with the replacement and it will have a digi 5 processor, which i hear could be a very good thing. Hearing that made it a hard choice whether to buy the 220 or 510 or wait till feb? I have 2 trips booked and i really don't want to use my fuji f70exr for them as i don't like it for evening shots, in low light. I had decided on the 220 and had been watching prices over the last few months and was going to get one by the end the end of the month but then i heard about the 510 and it being just as good but with out that pop up flash and slimmer,( less 2 times zoom but nothing major) so i thought well it was pretty similar in quality images, so i could get that and not deal with the pop up flash of the 220.... BUT then i found that thread talking about the replacement for the 220/230, so now i am SUPER confused on which one to get. I know i am getting one of the 3 but which one.. i have no idea. :* sigh*
Old Oct 16, 2011, 7:03 AM   #8

i know what you mean. what a pity we know nothing specific about the 230 upgrade. but i could imagine a touch screen and even more zoom (something like the new hx9v)...

you're in a difficult situation. wouldn't know what to do either! for me i think i'll wait till feb then...more zoom would be great
Nies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 7:17 AM   #9

i'm good with 12 or 14 times zoom but sure would love if the digi 5 proves itself to be better for image quality.... then it would be worth waiting for it till feb....otherwise if i look at the elph 510 and 220 i guess the best bet would be to get the 220 as it's cheaper..... right now at home it's reg priced at 319 going for 289 on sale and the 510 is starting at 399, so i can't see a sale price lower then 349 for awhile..... but i wonder what the price of the replacement for the 220/230 will be? if the elph started at 399.... that a bit too much for me, i don't like spending over 300 tops!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:56 AM   #10

the review for the 310 is out and very good, so i wonder what the 510's will be like????