Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:01 PM   #1

Default Help with Megazoom selection

Need a megazoom for my parents to take family photos on vacation, in travel etc. They are going to use it mostly in Auto mode or available preset modes so the camera should be intelligent in adjusting settings automatically according to the scene in Auto mode or the available preset modes. Budget is 400 bucks.

I checked cnet top cameras and dpreview. Sony HX9V , Canon SX230HS and Nikon S9100 are rated at top but not sure which one suits our needs or if there is any other better option.

Looking forward to the expert advise and opinion.
rohitranchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:54 AM   #2

If a "compact" camera with a large zoom and ease of operation is your focus(no pun intended...!) then the three you mention will do fine- having basic scene modes/auto on board- though if you fancy being more adventurous,the Canon also offers full manual modes as befitting an SLR. Also if you can do without GPS,the Canon SX220 might be worth a look..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The focus is the best image quality in Auto or Preset modes and ease of use in a compact camera with a large zoom. Still not sure which one to go for.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:36 PM   #4

In terms of simplicity- or a design/feature set which doesn't appear daunting- I would probably put the Canon out in front,with the Nikon not too far behind.
All three have a basic "auto" mode and in most circumstances should do fine with regards picture quality.
If possible- it may be worth you going to a retailer and getting "physical" with them and see which you feel would be most appropriate.
In terms of results,I wouldn't imagine there's much difference between the three....
The Samsung WB700 might be worth a look too- again with a "smart" auto mode,scene modes,18x zoom and are retailing probably less than the three mentioned by quite a margin...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:51 PM   #5

My husband has to use auto or scene modes. He is not camera-savy. We just got the HX9V, and we love it.

I'm actually pretty impressed at how well it performs in Auto. I use a DSLR and I have just left this camera in Auto for the most part and have been happy with the results.

I posted a thread with some pictures I took with it in the Sony point and shoot folder. You might try doing searches on the other cameras for examples of what other people have done with the other models you listed.

Good luck
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:29 PM   #6

Thanks Simon and Diana. I think I will go for Canon or Sony when ever I get a good deal on any one of them.