Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Replacement for ageing Canon Powershot A95

I have a Canon Powershot A95 (circa 2004) which I am looking to replace. I would like recommendations for a 2010-2011 Canon model. The features I liked about the A95 were the flexible LCD screen which could be rotated 180 degrees as well as angled in, and that it uses AA batteries. Is there a current Canon model that has these 2 features and is priced around mid-range? I had a quick read of reviews of some Canon models and they seem to use Li-Ion batteries and/or have fixed LCD screens.
xmojo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:04 AM   #2

Of course,the A95 used four AA's- something which would not be deemed acceptable these days(despite giving great battery life...!)- making a "compact" excessively weighty and chunky- and the addition of a tilting screen again would again add to the size,which again,seems unacceptable these days.
Here's Samsungs new take on tilting screens...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsun...-Camera_review
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I've done some more research and I like what I've read about the Canon PowerShot SX150 IS. It appears to be almost the direct descendent of the Powershot A95 in terms of features. Although it doesn't have a tilting LCD screen, at least it uses AA/NiMH batteries which I find way more convenient than proprietary Li-Ion batteries and much cheaper since I already have plenty of rechargable batteries. Like the A95, the SX150 IS has tons of automatic settings and manual settings as well. I was resigned to perhaps buying an older Canon model with the features I was looking for, but this one looks like it would be a very good replacement and it is a 2011 model too so it will have more modern technology.

I would like to hear from SX150 IS owners about their experiences with this particular model.
xmojo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 AM   #4

Bearing in mind that the introduction of a new model inevitably reduces the price of the current one- a bargain may be had on the SX130...
I have a SX120 and love it...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:15 PM   #5

I wanted a second, or sort of a fall back camera to complement my G12. The only thing I can say after sifting through tons of reviews, I choose a SX150 is. I didn't want to spend as much on a backup as I had spent on the G12, nor did I need something to rival it. Not that you can do that in its class, it has none.

But the SX150 is was the only thing that offered the features I wanted, even up to some of nearly twice its price. They would look pretty good, but there was always that "BUT". The SX150 just seems to be what it is without the "BUT"" clause, I will let you know more Friday whan it gets here.

Of course I don't expect the low light preformance from it I get from the G12, or the fantastic versatility. I just wanted a good solid little backup camera, and the "AA" batteries were a pretty good enticement.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Oct 12, 2011 at 3:20 PM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote