Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:50 AM   #21

I've made a survey in the market around where I live (quite expensive to be honest). I've found out these prices.

I was basically looking for the D7000 only but it was too expensive. Couldn't find it Body only.

The cheapest I found was $1700 (with the slow stupid lens 18-100 3.5f) I'd rather put more money and get a faster lens (2.8f or better) than waste $500 for this slower sub standard one.

I've found a Canon EOS D60 for $1160.

I'm unease with the idea of ordering online I might have to pay a lot more ass customs fees and buying fragile equipment overseas is not a very good idea.

The only D7000 body only I've found was for $1,500. Yes, $1,500 for body only and that's from the official Nikon dealer. Should I send Nikon an e-mail complaining about their prices?

I don't mind paying $200 extra as their profit.. but when I compare the prices between dealers outside (around $900 for body only) and here in Kuwait $1500 that's a lot. $600 can buy me a decent lens.
Dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:33 AM   #22

Okay I managed to find D7000 body only for a cheaper price. I got a 50mm 1.8 AF Nikkor lens with it and gave it a try...

Results...

Over Kill..

Completely Over Kill in what I was seeking. Which is GOOD I guess!

However, the 50mm doesn't give me the ability to shoot the model in question from head to toe in some rooms! It is too close to the subject to take a wide picture. It is perfect for Portrait (well.. what I was thinking!).

I'm glad it's a sub $100 lens and it's a decent one too.

But I want a wider lens which takes pictures of subjects/models in low lit rooms. Any recommendations?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:50 AM   #23
Super Moderator

The 18-105 is an excellent lens, check out the blur charts at slrgear.com - usually comes in a kit with the D7000. Oh wait...

Seriously though...

If you can afford it the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 G is a fantastic zoom for the DX cameras.

The 16-85 VR is also optically exceptional, and for myself I'd rather have the extra range and VR than the extra speed.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1177/cat/13

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The 18-105 is an excellent lens, check out the blur charts at slrgear.com - usually comes in a kit with the D7000. Oh wait...

Seriously though...

If you can afford it the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 G is a fantastic zoom for the DX cameras.

The 16-85 VR is also optically exceptional, and for myself I'd rather have the extra range and VR than the extra speed.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1177/cat/13
I don't care for range for now. My subjects are in-doors usually in a 4x4 (meters) rooms. I didn't know the 50mm is around 80mm in a non full frame SLR. So the 50mm I bought is just zooming too much for a full body picture.

I was considering the 35mm 1.8 but am not sure. Maybe I should invest in a decent wide angle lens?

I love fast lens with high quality sharp pictures. I don't need zoom. Later on I will buy a lens with range if I need to.

Oh, I have a philosophy of not spending 50% of cash on a sub-standard lens I'd rather raise 100% and get the better one.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:04 AM   #25
Super Moderator

What exactly are you shooting? Just people?

The key is lighting, not the lens. An investment in some decent lighting equipment will be the best thing you can do.

It's pretty difficult to guess what you are after. Can you post some samples or diagrams of what you are trying to achieve?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
What exactly are you shooting? Just people?

The key is lighting, not the lens. An investment in some decent lighting equipment will be the best thing you can do.

It's pretty difficult to guess what you are after. Can you post some samples or diagrams of what you are trying to achieve?
Like I said in my OP that I want to take picture of people (one model) in-doors for a website material.

My result is EXTREMELY GOOD like I said it was an overkill. I am HAPPY with the exposures I got in low lit areas with 50mm 1.8 and D7000. My problem now as I explained two posts ago is the distance. I have no Lightning Problems.

I had problems taking a picture of the model from head to toe in a 4x4 room using 50mm (it's almost 75mm in a DX camera) which is something I missed.

What I want now is a lens which is wider and excellent for taking shots of subjects/models. Fast, Sharp, works great in low lit rooms.

I Do not want lightning solutions or flash. I love the images coming from 50mm 1.8 without any extra artificial lights. I am satisfied. I just want a wider angle that performs as good or better than the 50mm 1.8 which is a cheap lens.

What I have in mind is the 35mm 1.8 but I want to see if I can get a better suggestion. Maybe a wider lens can work better for me plus the addition value of might using it for other purposes besides modeling / portrait shots.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:02 AM   #27
Super Moderator

What apertures are you shooting at in the room with the 50 that is giving you your good exposures? And at which ISO and which shutter speed?

The 35 1.8 is a good lens, but unless you need the extra 1-1.5 stops then you would probably be better off with a 17-55 (or similar range) f2.8.

"low light" is not precise enough a description, depending on who you talk to it can cover a huge exposure range.

I also try to avoid lightning. Indoors or out.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:46 AM   #28

I use 2.0 aperture from the 50mm and 1600 ISO (if I recall correct, am at work now). Surprisingly the D7000 is cheating... I feel guilty for taking such noise free sharp pictures.

I can use extra sharpness (who wouldn't?) with better lenses I'd fork the money for it!

The 17-55 2.8 sounds good for wide shots but for the 55 zoom I'm not sure really I already have the 50mm 1.8. I was thinking maybe I should go with a wide lens (like the 10-24) and later I can get the 70-200 VR for longer range if I want to go take pictures outside.

As for my current project. I definitely need a wider lens. I am not sure if the 35mm 1.8 is a good choice but the 17-55 f2.8 (depends on the price) is a considerable candidate.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:02 AM   #29

If you can do without stabilization in a large aperture, standard zoom lens. You may want to look at the Tamron 17-50/2.8; it's as good as the Nikon 17-55/2.8, and it's a lot cheaper. If you need the stabilization, there are more choices, but none as good.

If you're thinking about getting a seperate wide angle zoom anyway, perhaps a Tamron 28-75/2.8 would work well for your other stuff, plus the longer focal length would be better for head & shoulders portraits than your 50. LensRentals.com even has them for rent, so you can try it before you by it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:31 AM   #30

Worth a look if you fancy a wide angle/fast prime...?
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/20mm-...g-asp-rf-sigma
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote