Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:26 PM   #11

I'm sure you'll be able to get the hang of things pretty quickly- there are all sorts of blogs/advice etc on the internet or even a book- all of which should give you a basic insight into the DSLR world and the what/when/how and why of it all.
If in doubt- stick the camera in Auto- as they usually come up with the goods on their own...lol...

And when you return from your trip- we want to see your photos...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:36 PM   #12

I had pretty much made up my mind to get the Canon XS40. Now I don't know. I saw what I think is a pretty good deal on a Nikon 3100 and Nikon 5100 at Target - $50 off the camera and $100 off the lens ( they both already come with one lens). Does anyone have experience with these two cameras that would care to give me reasons why they like or dislike either of these two?

Thanks

And, I would love to post some photos when I get back.
cshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:53 PM   #13

Not going to get allot of reach with that price range for both camera and long lens.

The canon the best you can do it a t2i kit with the 55-250 giving you 400mm or reach,

The nikon the d5100 kit with the nikon 55-300 giving 450mm of reach, but that will over the budget a bit.

Either set up will be good for larger wildlife at an average viewing distance. And do a decent job.

For smaller wildlife or larger wildlife at a greater distance. Something in the 400 or 500mm zoom lens is what you want, but they are big and heavy and pretty pricey. About 1200 to start just for the lens.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:29 PM   #14

I found a Nikon 3100 that comes with a 18-55mm Zoom - Nikkor VR image stabilization lens for $549. Is this a good start up? I know the lens is not a long zoom lens but just curious whether or not this might be a good start up package?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:15 PM   #15

You can get a canon T1i refurbished from adorama with a 1 year warranty for about the same price. It is a high level camera then the d3100.

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:32 PM   #16

So do you think the Canon line of the T1i, T2i, and T3i are better cameras than the Nikon D3100 or the D5100? If so, can you give me some basics about why you like the Canon over the Nikon - these models only. I don't need more info to cloud my already confused brain.

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:07 PM   #17

The Canon's are better then then d3100 for sure, as it is nikon's base model. It is a very basic dslr. The d5100 is closer to the canon in performance. It can shoot a EV bracket like canons you are considering, something that the D3100 can not. The D3100 goes up against the canon T3 not the Ti series

Nikon and Canon both make good mid level and high end dslr. So some prefer nikon and other canon for personal reason. But on the entry level, canon has a better mid level entry line up then nikon.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:26 PM   #18

Default Zoom

As for zoom lenses, nothing out there under $400 (I am just talking zoom now) is going to give me the equivalent of a 35X that comes on the Canon SX40, right? At this point, the zoom is probably the biggest selling point for me. I want to be able to get close ups of things like the Statue of Liberty face, for instance, from a distance. If I purchase an entry DSLR with something like a $200- $400 lens, nothing like that is going to come close to what I am talking about, correct?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 AM   #19

Well even with th 35x zoom of the sx40, from manhattan, you still will not be able to get face close up of miss liberty. You would be able to get it on ferry with the sx40.

So if reach is what you are looking for the SX40 with it's 840mm of reach is pretty long reaching. Just do not shoot it when the light is low. The small sensors camera are not very good at iso higher then 400, 800 is the max. Anything higher is junky at best. A entry dslr with a 250mm or 300mm zoom lens will not be able to match the sx40 in reach, but will run circles around it when the light levels drop.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:51 AM   #20

Default close ups

Right. I plan on taking the ferry to get some good pictures of miss Liberty. The DSLR route is one I have contemplated many times but I think the versatility of a longer zoom keeps me going back to the bridge camera. The low light situations, though, have me thinking. Gotta make up my mind

Thank you for the information you shared. It helps when making decisions to learn from those that know what they are talking about and don't have $$ motivation.