Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:45 PM   #21

Default Okay, this one seems interesting

I was looking around online and found a Panasonic G3, which seems to be a smaller type DSLR? Do you know anything about these cameras and lenses? Would this camera be a good choice?
cshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:18 PM   #22

The Panny G camera are micro 4/3 format. And does not have a mirror box. Their sensor is smaller then the canon and nikon. So they have a crop factor of 2x. With a 300mm lens, you get 600mm equivalent of reach. They are pretty nice camera's. Not as good as the larger sensor in low light. 1600iso is about their top.

The panny and olympus micro 4/3 camera can use each other's lenses. As micro 4/3 is a shear format. I personally like the smaller olympus pens as my travel camera over my dslr. They are very capable cameras both the panasonic and olympus. As long as you are not shooting in very low light or shooting action. You get dslr image quality, they just do not have as much shallow dof as a larger sensor camera. But the lenses are pretty nice. But a bit pricer then canon or nikon. The panasonic 100-300 will set you back 600 dollars, the olympus 75-300 a bit more as it is a bit better lens.

But the panasonic 45-200 is a very good lens for about 270 dollars. And match that with the kit lens, you get a pretty go kit.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:35 PM   #23

Thanks. I think I'm looking for something that will be a good all around camera - high zoom and good in low light. Not that I take any pictures much like that now just due to the fact that I don't have a camera that does well in low light, so....I guess I will cross those off my list.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:39 PM   #24

They are not bad in low light, I personally used an olympus epl-1 when traveling and as long as you know how to set up the shot, and have the right lens. It produce very good low light shots. But that takes a bit of learning. The larger dslr sensor is just a bit easier to use in low light. But like m4/3 you need to use the right lens to get the most out of it.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:41 PM   #25

There were taken with my epl-1 with proper setup for night shooting.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...-thailand.html
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:00 PM   #26

Wow! Those are great pictures!