Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:08 PM   #1

Default New to DSLR.

So I've got my sights set on a d3100 and d5100. But I'm unsure of which to purchase. I have the budget for either, but don't want to spend more for the 5100 if the 3100 will yield the results.

I'm in to traveling, nature photography, being able to take quality pictures of family events, vacation, ect ect ect.

My question is..which one should I really buy? Like I said I'm new to DSLR, but I am quick to learn. I am by no means looking to become a professional but don't want to pick something up and get bored with it within a week.

I'm also open to debate between the two above and vs. Canon T2 and T3.

Thank you guys.
IggyBcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

What lenses have you looked at?

In general it's better to spend a bit more on lenses and less on the camera. The good news is that it's pretty much impossible to buy a poor DSLR these days.

I usually recommend that you buy the best equipment you can comfortably afford, this stops you from worrying that if only you had got something slightly better your photographs would improve.

Get the best you can afford then concentrate all your effort on learning photography with the equipment you have.

Did you have a total budget in mind?

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
What lenses have you looked at?

In general it's better to spend a bit more on lenses and less on the camera. The good news is that it's pretty much impossible to buy a poor DSLR these days.

I usually recommend that you buy the best equipment you can comfortably afford, this stops you from worrying that if only you had got something slightly better your photographs would improve.

Get the best you can afford then concentrate all your effort on learning photography with the equipment you have.

Did you have a total budget in mind?
I havent really looked much in to equipment, but just have been trying to focus on which body to get so I wont outgrow it right off the bat. I was planning on just using the 18-55 kit that comes with most DSLR's these days and learning on it and then going in to different lenses as my skill and knowledge grows. As far as a budget, not really wanting to top $1000
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:24 PM   #4

I guess my main concern is.. If I do not purchase any extra equipment right now and just use the 18-55 lense it comes with.. How far will the 3100 take me out of the box. Will I see a big enough difference with the 5100 factory vs factory to justify the extra $250+? At what point if I did go with the 3100 would I start seeing a need in going to a better body? Right now I'm just looking to get a kit, take it out of the box and start learning. Like I said, I'm by no means looking to become a professional.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:51 PM   #5

I'm not sure the differences(image wise) would really be noticeable between the two- all else being equal- and using just the kit lens. Though the D5100 does have a couple of extra tricks up its sleeve. I would probably go for the D3100 if I just wanted a "good" picture taker- and if I was going to resign myself to spending more I would hold out and wait for what's going to replace the D90.... maybe a D90s...?
Here's a side by side comparison...
http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d3100-vs-d5100
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote