Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:06 AM   #1

Default Digital point and shoot camera-which?

I have it narrowed down to the following cameras and could use a little help figuring out which is the best overall camera that will provide the best images in all modes (macro, zooming in/out, action, low light, high light, everything in between).

Though I'm just an amateur and shoot for fun, I really enjoy getting great quality shots out.

Canon Powershot SX150
Canon Powershot SX210
Nikon Coolpix S8200
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8
Olympus ZS-10
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:12 AM   #2

Nice little bunch of compacts- all probably capable of similar results across the board.
I like the Canon's image quality,which is usually up there with the best. The Nikon has no full manual modes which would be a no-no for me(but maybe not for you!).
The Panasonic's are a well put together camera and now has the full manual modes also.
The Olympus certainly has a whopper of a zoom range,yet amazingly,has the widest aperture(f/4.4) at full zoom,allowing a decent amount of light in at the long end,which should enable a faster shutter speed resulting in sharp shots. If this had manual modes it would be a major contender here- though again,this might not be an issue for you if all you want to do is "point and shoot" utilizing auto/scene modes...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:31 PM   #3

Simon

I think I'll end up getting the Canon SX150. I was actually in an ebay auction for the Nikon S8200 but stopped after it went past what I wanted to purchase it for. The stores have it for 299. I found that Sams Club has the SX150 for just 208 which is great, and from what I've read it's a decent camera. Previously, I had a Kodak Easyshare Z1485 and I was pretty pleased with it for the most part. I believe the SX150 should be better than that.
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:06 PM   #4

I don't think you'll be disappointed Amy...
The SX150 is a great "all rounder"...(I still have the old SX120...!)
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:46 AM   #5

I just purchased a SX150, pretty good little camera. In fact it suprised me, for an inexpensive model.

I shot at ISO 1600, and it was not near as bad as cameras I have had from previous years. Of course there was some noise, but it cleaned up fairly easily, and would print a 4x6 image readily. That's good for any point and shoot, especially one for just $200.

Has plenty of manual controls, for those looking for them. All around not a bad little, "well slightly big for a P&S these days" camera.

As a PS; I forgot to mention, the weakest part of this camera is the flash. Good to about 6-7 feet @ ISO 100. You might get a little better increasing the ISO, but also you chance noise in the darker areas by doing so. But most Digi Cams, in this price range do no better.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Oct 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote