Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Can't decide (FZ48 or FZ100)

I have spent numerous hours reading these forums, and I must say that you are really a nice bunch of people. Everyone is very helpful and try there best, it's not that common anymore on the Internet.

Anyway, I decided to register and make my own post since I simply can't decide which of the above cameras I going to buy.

At first I was thinking the FZ100, because it seems like a better camera overall, hot shoe, speed shooting, swivel display, and it was the big brother of the FZ45. But then I read about the differences in sensor type (CCD v. CMOS) and the FZ48 seemed like a better candidate because of lesser pixel count and better low light performance.

They are the same price in my "local" online shop, so I'm sitting here totally split. Which to put in the basket?

The speed shooting that the FZ100 offers is not that important to me, but maybe it's nice to have a hot shoe for flash and mic? I'm probably going to do some filming with it since I have no dedicated video camera. And I also take alot of indoor pictures, when there is not so much light. Maybe the FZ48 is better here? Outdoor and with good light, I guess there's not that a big difference between the cameras.

I'm going crazy here, please help!
Marquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:52 AM   #2

The IQ of the FZ100 is fairly poor imho, unless you are willing to spend the time in post-processing to fix up the images. Go with the FZ48.

Now if you look at this year's models, then the FZ150 gets a nod from me. It has all the features of the FZ100 and considerably better IQ than the FZ100.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:54 AM   #3

Have to agree with FiveO- the FZ150 is the logical choice,if at some extra cost.
The extra speed of the CMOS model,the drop in pixel count and the improved IQ- not to mention other spec upgrades make the above model the way to go...

And "tilt-swivel" screens are great for candid work....

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 18, 2011 at 5:00 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:56 AM   #4

Well ok, but the FZ150 is a little bit over my budget, first and foremost I want to find a camera that's around €350 (which the above are in Sweden), FZ150 cost over €500 here.

If I go down in zoom (my old FZ5 had 12x and I thought that was enough really), how is the smaller cameras compared to FZ48? I have Canon SX230 in mind particularly.
Marquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:40 PM   #5

Whilst the Canon is a nice little fella(and even nicer/cheaper if you can do without GPS- SX220hs..)- its focusing speed will be quite a bit slower than the Panasonic at the "long end"- which might prove a little frustrating if your trying to capture a fidgety subject at full zoom.
Panasonic's lead the way here- they're a speedy performer..!!
Also,the electronic viewfinder on bridge cameras make it easy to track subjects- especially difficult if your compacts screen is bathed in sunlight..!!
Compacts and Bridges are quite different beasts with different qualities- Bridges masquerading as an "all in one" alternative to a DSLR,with all their handling and functionality qualities- albeit with a drop in image quality- though in most cases,more than ample. Compacts don't have those handling qualities or the speed- and at times(though maybe not that often) might leave you compromised. If however,all one is after is a quality compact and only shoots in favourable conditions(as opposed to someone being creative in varying lighting conditions) then they'll do fine.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote