Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:33 PM   #1

Default pocket digital camera?

I own a nice DSLR with lenses but am looking for a smaller pocket camera to take on trips etc.. I already own a Canon A590 which is awesome because it has a real viewfinder and a LOT of the manual settings my DSLR has. however, its a few years old and a small zoom.. what is around that replaces the Canon A590 and has a lot of the DSLR setings etc and wont break the bank??

Thanks ... Dave
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:02 PM   #2

I have a Canon G12...which is great, but too big for pocket, unless you have voluminous pockets.

What about the Canon S95...think it may be small enough, but you need to check it out. Also the new Pentax Q , which is the smallest interchangeable lens camera and sounds very exciting.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I have a Canon G12...which is great, but too big for pocket, unless you have voluminous pockets.

What about the Canon S95...think it may be small enough, but you need to check it out. Also the new Pentax Q , which is the smallest interchangeable lens camera and sounds very exciting.
Do any of these cameras have all the manual featured the A590 has? on the A590, I can do FULL manual mode, shutter priority, aperture priority, program, etc.. I have lots of settings for ISO, etc and it has a REAL viewfinder (well maybe not like a DSLR but its not an LCD screen)

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.. I think the a590 was under $200 when I got it...

Thanks ...
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss View Post
Do any of these cameras have all the manual featured the A590 has? on the A590, I can do FULL manual mode, shutter priority, aperture priority, program, etc.. I have lots of settings for ISO, etc and it has a REAL viewfinder (well maybe not like a DSLR but its not an LCD screen)

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.. I think the a590 was under $200 when I got it...

Thanks ...
I don't know. The Pentax Q might have this, but given your budget I think it will be much more expensive that what you want to spend.

My G12 has manual, automatic...just like a DSLR...but it's also expensive.

Here's a link from this website, by another member, on the Pentax Q.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...hion-show.html

Although the G12 and the Q are fine cameras I have a feeling they may not be what you are looking for.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:25 PM   #5

does any camera like what I am looking for use AA Batteries? or do they all use the battery pack now??
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:40 PM   #6

canon's S95 has what you are looking for, except for the viewfinder. Hardly any of the smaller pocketable cameras, have viewfinders anymore. In fact none!.

The Canon G12 is exactly what you are looking for, but the only pocket you could put it in, would be a jacket or overcoat. It uses a Lithium battery pack. And only has a 5x zoom = 140mm.

Hardly any cameras use AA batteries now, a few low end Fujis, and Canon's SX150 is, which also has AV,TV, P, and manual but no viewfinder. I have one it takes very good images, and up to ISO 1600 if you don't mind removing a little noise, and staying with something like a 4x6 print.

Other than that it surprised me for a $219 camera, not like the ones of a few years back. Oh yes the SX150 is also has a 12x zoom, that works out to 336mm. But the G12 is as near DSLR image quality you will get in a compact camera, they are going for around $449 or maybe a dollar or so less right now.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Oct 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote