Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:05 PM   #1

Default Time Lapse Camera Suggestion

Hello

I have dabbled a bit with time lapse using first a Ricoh R6 then a CX1. The reason for choosing these ones is their inbuild interval shooting function.

I am looking to step it up a bit and would welcome suggestions on what stills cameras, video camera and necessary software.

This is to go on the front of my boat so I can record trips and I am putting in cabeling for 12v power and video so even using a camera as a capture device and sending to the onboard PC.

With the Ricoh cameras I used VirtualDub to render the stills into movies.

Thanks
Bigglesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:06 PM   #2

bump
Bigglesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:12 PM   #3

I'm a big fan of time lapse photography and I've been looking into it for a while. are you planning on getting a DSLR?

advanced time lapse photography isn't a simple thing. I found out that if you use appertures smaller than around f/5.6 or shutter speeds faster than around 1/30, you get a lot of flickering - even if everything is set to manual. that's due to slight imperfection variations on the actual apperture and exposure time. I know there are some cameras with which you can stop the diaphragm down throughout the shooting so as to avoid that, but I'm not sure which ones.

for capturing, I've just been using the built in interval timer on the D7000, but I know there's some nice software out there that'll do this and save directly to your computer.

anyway, I know I didn't really answer your question, but here's some food for thought
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:12 PM   #4

Hi Bigglesw

Thanks for the post - and opportunity to contribute. I also like time lapse photography a lot - and have seen some wonderful examples (eg on youtube and also photography specific sites). Particularly with dramatic landscape, moving clouds, rain and so on - it gives you the feeling of 'wow, what a day' / season, etc!

I have 2 Canon DSLRs (350D and 7D), and have set out my older & less valuable / less precious Canon 350D at a window or even outside in my back yard to make some basic time lapse photos.

Here is one (simple) example from last year: https://picasaweb.google.com/1974.pa...kyardTimelapse If you go full frame (f11) and set it at eg 1 second interval, then it is 'all right' for a basic idea. Ok, the 'scene' is certainly not fantastic (a part of my back garden), but it's good to play / practice at home first.. then try the 'real stuff / other outdoors'.

I needed to buy an external interval timer as neither of my Canon DSLRs had that function built in. But the good thing is that it also gives the benefit of remote capturing.

If having an inbuilt interval meter is an issue to you, maybe a brand that has it is preferable (eg as kezs wrote: Nikon D7000). A DSLR allows you more control (eg aperture, shutter variations) over most point and shoot cameras. However it depends on what you want. I believe many point and shoot cameras today would be able to do well. I think a sturdy tripod is important for good time lapse photography.

I thought that the 'flickering' is a normal part of the environmental conditions changing with time lapse (eg clouds going overhead, etc), and as such isn't an issue (but part of the outcome). Or am I missing something that you wrote, kezs?

About software, I really don't have any advice on that. Look forward to hearing from you and seeing some outcomes.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
I thought that the 'flickering' is a normal part of the environmental conditions changing with time lapse (eg clouds going overhead, etc), and as such isn't an issue (but part of the outcome). Or am I missing something that you wrote, kezs?
that's also a big part of flickering. but often you get flickering that's not related to that (no clouds overhead, no headlights, etc). I've noticed that, at least with the D7000, whenever I shoot with something like f/13 and/or 1/125, the flickering is evident. unfortunately I have no good examples online, but I did some research and found out about these slight variations in exposure and aperture that generate it. here's some more information on it. it's from a deflicker software company so could be a little biased, but I've confirmed it elsewhere and through my own experience. here is another.

anyway, there's a lot to learn when it comes to high quality time lapse. I'm just starting to learn it. here's a little something to inspire you: http://vimeo.com/29950141 (not mine!)
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote