Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:02 PM   #1

Default missing the smile

What non slr camera has the least shutter lag? I keep missing the smiles...
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:39 PM   #2

G'day again sams mom

Whatever camera we're / you're talking about, the shutter-lag times we're talking about differ by -maybe- hundred's-of-a-second ... ie not enough to usually make a difference

btw- it would help us to help you if we knew what camera you are using at the moment ...

Any of the current batch of cameras from canon - nikon - fuji - kodak etc etc will be "pretty qwik" to shoot your kids !!! so I don't think it's too much of an issue

As I mentioned to you on another thread - burst action where the camera shoots 3-5 images in quick succession is often the best way to get the smile

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:09 PM   #3

As Ozzie says,most camera's these days are nigh on instant with regards shutter lag.
However,if- as some do- you include pre-focus into the equation,then you should be looking for the camera with the fastest focus mechanism- something which slows down as you use longer focal lengths. Panasonics are pretty swift performers in this regard.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:30 PM   #4

I am currently using a Canon Powershot SX100. Every time I get my grandbaby to smile, snap the picture, and she's usually looking away in the pic. I am wondering about the Nikon L120???? or the Canon S3 IS
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:02 AM   #5

What do I look for in the description that will tell me how fast the "focus mechanism" is? I really know nothing about cameras! I am also looking as a Canon S5 IS. I've been told these are fast as long as you don't use rechargeable batteries. What is a good burst mode? My fear is that I'm going to spend more $$$$ and still not have a decent camera
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:54 AM   #6

Having owned 2 S3is's- I can tell you that they're one of the faster focusing cameras out there- despite being a pretty old model now- Canon's USM motors are notoriously quick.
Shutter lag,in my opinion is unnoticeable. The burst mode on the S3 allows 2.3 frames per second- which is actually faster than the later S5,SX10 and SX20.. no doubt slowed down by having to process more megapixels..!
I cannot comment on the L120 as I've haven't had the pleasure of using one- however,here's a link to a review- and take note of the focusing issues raised...!
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digit...n-coolpix-l120
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:07 PM   #7

G'day sams mom

Nice to hear back from you

Regarding ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
I've been told these are fast as long as you don't use rechargeable batteries.
This is a most extroardinary comment ~ 99% of us use rechargeable batteries, and I use AAs in as much as I can get hold of ... so I think that whomever made this statement to you has got the wrong end of things

Regarding -
Quote:
What is a good burst mode?
The Panasonic we have does 15 images per second in one of its special modes

and
Quote:
What do I look for in the description that will tell me how fast the "focus mechanism" is? I really know nothing about cameras!
This comes down to both electronic speed and mechanical / motor speed
There are 2 ways that cameras do their focussing - one called "phase detect" the other is "contrast detect" - 'phase' being faster but more expensive to build in, so 'contrast' is used in the less-expensive cameras. This is followed by the speed of the focussing motor to move the lens into position - and this does vary between cameras ... again, more $ into the camera, the better [should be] the results

My point & shoot cameras all use 'phase' and to be honest, yes I do miss shots from time to time ... but with a bit of practice and 'action-pre-warning' I can get the shots most times, esp when I activate burst and am shooting at 3 or 4 photos a second. I keep the best one or two and delete the others.

I have said to others before you, that choosing a camera is like choosing a pair of shoes > you must try it for size before buying
I suggest that you sit down in your local camera shop and try 2 or 3 possibles and test them to see the differences > how does each feel in your fingers; how does each camera's menu work for you; how does each camera focus and shoot on others in the store walking by; how does each camera go in bright light & dull light ... and so on

Hope this helps a bit - over to your other 'advisors'
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:48 AM   #8

I've made a decision, I think!! I have found a great price on the Canon EOS Rebel T3 ($415). My price includes the EF-S 18-55IS lens. Everything I've read says that this particular camera is very easy to use. Do you have any input on this? (I also have the option of buying a Fuji Finepix S9000 from someone for $175) The holidays are coming up...I'd love to get some good pics for a change. Of course, I realize there is a learning curve on a DSLR, but I'm hoping this camera has a great "auto" mode????
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9

That's a pretty good price for a 1100D and IS lens...! Nice,simple entry level SLR with good image quality. The S9000's a decent "all in one" solution,with SLR type handling/functionality,a decent zoom range- and the very useful tilt screen.
It's certainly more versatile than the Canon,though without the Canon's image quality- or low light capability. Plus it's not image stabilised.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...000zs9500z.asp
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely leaning toward the Canon. I thought that was a good price! I hate that it doesn't have a lot of zoom, but I can always buy another lens later. Hate to put too much money into a used one. I really want the image stabilization.