Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:12 AM   #11

Sorry another question.
In my comparison FX200 and FX500EXR and NikonP7100
http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

I have the following question ..
1. which is better image stabilization (sensor shift or optical ?)
2. Bigger Sensor CCD vs EXRCMOS and it's role in better night vision

Please can you help me.

Regards
-PC
protocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
Panasonic FZ150-superzoom may meet most of your requirements in one camera for $500+
If not buy a DSLR and loads of lenses but keep loads of money also ready in your wallet.
Fz150 does not have Panaroma shot mode
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:04 AM   #13

To be fair the F200EXR and the Nikon P7100 are completely different beasts- the former generally being used as a point and shoot,"with a bit more" if you need it- and the Nikon is more of a semi pro compact,for SLR users who've left the daddy at home,yet still require similar functionality. Price wise they're also FAR apart.... though I know which one I'd want in my Christmas stocking....
Of course the 500EXR is another story....!
A review of the F500exr-
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...500exr_review/

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:11 PM   #14

G'day again Anand

Your Qs are good ones & we fellow 'togs are giving you our best answers
I have looked again at the above replies and would like to offer you a "second opinion"

You have asked for ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocoder View Post
... Please could you advice me which is best available camera for the following
Budget ~400 dollars
1. Low light, Night mode (A must) and out doors
2. Best picture quality
3. State of art sensor (cmos, ccd you tell me)
4. Image Stabilization
5. Very good Optical zoom
6. Ability to attach lens
7. Panaromic, wide angle (preferred)
8. Macro to Long shot capable
9. Suggest wide range of focal length
10. Large memory capability (prefer)
11. water resistant ( really prefer)
12. Long lasting

Seriously would not compromise on 1, 2, 5 and love to have 6. ....... Apologies, i am really novice, just don't cannot spend again for next 6-7 years. Thanks in Advance. Anand
OKay - re- your budget then items 1, 2, 5, 6

Many of the new cameras mentioned are over the $400 mark - and the Nikon P7100 while it seems an excellent camera is regailed as "the new Nikon flagship" ... and any flagship comes at a price that is probably above your budget

regarding your 1,2, & 5,6
1. Low light, Night mode (A must) and out doors
2. Best picture quality
5. Very good Optical zoom
6. Ability to attach lens

All the current offerings of superzoom cameras have good lenses - tho some will tell you that those lenses are less then 'perfect' as a big zoom is a series of compromises. However, you can use this to your advantage - if you chose a camera/ lens of over 20x zoom you might not need the item #6 ... and a good quality add-on lens is another $200-$250

Regarding item #1 ... how many times will you be shooting "low light, Night mode" scenes? ie -will a shutter time of 8 or 10 seconds do you, or do you need 1-minute? -will the ISO going to 800 or 1600 do you, or do you need ISO-6400?

I am going to be a bit "different & radical" here and suggest that you look at the Fuji S4000 camera
It sells at around $250, it has a 30x zoom lens equivalent to 24mm to 720mm [compared with a 35mm film camera] ... ie- fairly wide angle to very long lens / telephoto; it has P A S M operation so that you can learn and use all the same features of an up-market SLR, and the list goes on

In your original posting you state that you are a novice - this is a good "beginner's camera" that I would suggest to any newbie.

Maybe it's something to consider
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:26 PM   #15

Here's some sample images for you to look at from the Fuji S4000....
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...sample_images/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:49 PM   #16

I have a feeling that you are buying a camera outside the US. If so, that changes the game a lot. Different, perhaps, older cameras are available to you at different prices than are being offered here.
So, are you buying outside the US? If so, can you list the cameras that you are considering that are within your budget and how much they would cost you. Then it's easier for us to give you useful advice.
On another note, I had the Fuji F100 a couple of years ago. It's good in low light and it's fairly well built. After I sold my F100, I bought the F70 for its 10X optical zoom and extended dynamic range settings. You can still get it or its clone, the F72, pretty cheaply (refurbished) on the US Ebay site. However, I am not sure which camera, outside of the "Tough" versions can survive being dropped or submerged without damage.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:08 PM   #17

Default Advice camera Low light, panaromic, lens attachable

Thank you again Ozzie_Traveller, SIMON40 and robbo.

I would definetly read lot of review regarding Fuji S4000, though most in the review comments abused the camera left right and center, the photographers as a reviewers seem to support it as people lacking sense of taking picture. I love to read manuals and practise and learn the photography. If this compels me to take better picture if i make efforts, then i would learn to use it as well. Thank you.

Regarding my requirements
I do take frequently indoors and poor to very poor lighting family gatherings etc. I espcially felt a great need while taking pictures at night and ended up miserable black pictures. Taking pictures inside bush forests, early morning with just enough light to see but there is no sun yet, panaromic, historic places at night where the back ground further away is lit a bit but dark where subject faces the camera. I am not a techie so i am not sure when actually i should move to ISO 1600, i have tripod and i would like to know. That's why my camera was focussed on all light conditions, rugged ones.

Yes i live in New Zealand where new products are launched late and old and gold like F31fd is not available. f200exr too is hard to find where noel leaming suggested they would have to fetch it from other places of the country with only 3 pieces available !

Very confusing market and i see lot of opportunity for some one to tap it to make a camera which would iphone in phone with models based on basic + usage specific.

I have not freezed or finalized any brand or model and i am open to hear any radical or what ever is actually advised. Really thankful to all of you.

Thanks a lot
Anand
protocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:15 PM   #18

G'day Anand

Whatever camera you end up choosing, if the local stores / suppliers don't have them &/or seem unwilling to stock them for you to view before buying, then you are stuck with buying "off-the-shelf / buying on-line"

Should you decide to go down that path - and many of us do it each year- then there are several options available to you

In Aust, I use several aussie suppliers of aussie-sourced & international warrantied cameras & lenses ... "DWI" and RYDA" being 2 of them

for example - DWI 'could' have a Fuji S4000 delivered to your door for around $350- tho I am not a sales person for that mob ... just an example

Other potential suppliers - many based in HK- can supply an S4000 for down to $200 delivered-to-your-door, with 2 'buts' ... but the warranty often is return-to-base, and but sometimes the camera they are selling comes from a batch that hasn't got the full 5-star quality control 'tick' because something is not quite perfect

Hope this offers you some choices
Regards, Phil
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:28 PM   #19

G'day Anand (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocoder View Post
... I would definetly read lot of review regarding Fuji S4000, though most in the review comments abused the camera left right and center, the photographers as a reviewers seem to support it as people lacking sense of taking picture.

Regarding my requirements
I do take frequently indoors and poor to very poor lighting family gatherings etc. I especially felt a great need while taking pictures at night and ended up with miserable black pictures.

Taking pictures inside bush forests, early morning with just enough light to see but there is no sun yet, panaromic, historic places at night where the back ground further away is lit a bit but dark where subject faces the camera. I am not a techie so i am not sure when actually i should move to ISO 1600, ..... Thanks a lot, Anand
Your sentiments in para-1 are, I find, all too common for those of us who enjoy superzoom cameras ... in that many magazine-based camera reviewers just rave on about how SLR lenses are sharper than superzoom lenses because ... because ... because ... - without acknowledging that the SLR lens is often two or three times the price of the whole superzoom camera and completely glossing over the fabulous versatility of the superzoom anyway

Also - many of today's newer cameras have a feature called "auto-ISO" where the camera will automatically change the ISO between 2 points as the light levels go up or down. In many cameras this auto-ISO range is 100 to 1000, tho you can decide a) if you do/don't want this feature to operate, and b) if you do, then what the top ISO number will be [some go to 6400]

Hope this helps a bit ...
Regards, Phil
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:40 PM   #20

If I were a novice at photography, maybe I wouldn't put all my money on a big purchase now and then wait for 6 years for another purchase. One reason is that even with the informed advice of people on forums like this, I wouldn't know what is most important for me and how much it would cost to buy what I needed. The second reason is that the technology changes so fast, even though the rules of optics and physics don't. So, I would probably spend half as much to get a decent camera with manual settings (and maybe 7X or more zoom), learn that stuff that comes with experience, and then get something better in 2 or 3 years with the other half (plus a little more because I would have saved more).
As for the Fuji S4000 - I was interested in it for my dad. I love big zooms and think he would like them, too. Costco in the US is selling them pretty cheaply. However, the reviews by users have not been so favorable. A cheaper, slightly smaller superzoom, the S2950, has gotten better reviews.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote