Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:47 AM   #1

Default Canon SX30 or SX40

Right now I have a Canon S3 IS and itching for something new

I went to a camera shop and the guy there right away recommended the SX40 right away no hesitation. He said the SX30 was good too but something about CMOS and for the extra $100 something would be worth it.

He is trying to make a sale regardless.

So I need some unbias opinions. I am a want to be photographer but never will be. In the meantime I just want a good camera that can help me take great pics! Video too

So is the SX40 really THAT much better? Is it really worth $100+?
kickrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2

I actually prefer the FZ150 over the SX40, but given the choice between the SX30 and SX40, I think the SX40 has better IQ.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:09 AM   #3

With your experience already, yes the SX40 would be good, but to be honest the FZ150 will be much better for learning photography as it has much more manual control and modes...

Last edited by LTZ470; Oct 22, 2011 at 3:12 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:13 PM   #4

I will be honest I generally have my camera set to auto I just don't have the time to learn photography. With 2 jobs, 2 kids and a house to run there doesn't seem like there are enough hours in the day.

I would like to stick with Canon unless the other is much better. Also is it worh $130 to go from the SX30 to the SX40. I have had my current canon for 4 years and never had 1 issue, I will be sad to see it go but I know with advances in technology it is time!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:44 PM   #5

The Canon SX40 is faster(burst mode) and appears to have better image quality- though you'll only see the benefits of that in challenging conditions/lower light etc...
Only you can decide if that's worth the extra......
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:24 PM   #6

Thanks

I appreciate the help. The camera guy's big sell was CMOS he said that was the big difference between the 2 and that is why he suggested the SX40.

I guess my point is I am not a seasoned photographer. I do love to take pics and when they are crisp and clear I am happiest. I like to photograph my kids and nature most of all. Will I (with my untrained eye) really know the difference between the 2?

If I am wowed at the difference the yes it is worth it to spend the extra but if I am getting basically the same only a little better then I would rather save my money.

I can't really "know" if it is worth it if I don't really know what I am getting over what. Does that make sense?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:48 PM   #7

I have decided to go with the SX40! Thanks for all the help Now to find it at the best price Maybe waiting unitl closer to Christmas will yield me a better deal!