Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Budget Camera: Flip UltraHD 4gb vs 8gb?

Hi,

I am new here but i will post a short paragraph of why i will be needing a camera:
Basiclly I wanted to buy a new camcorder mostly to shoot some things for school as well as personal things. A good camera will help my grades to a certain extent (I am only in multimedia so video is a small part of it) so not looking for anything crazy just under $130. I got my first video project marked and the only major problem was the shakiness of the video, and a bit better quality would also be better. I shot it with my camera phone (not HD) so anything would be an upgrade, would just like to get the best performance for the money.

I found the Flip UltraHD 3rd gen for $40, on sale brand new, though its only 4gb and doesn't support sd cards or anything.

I also found the Flip UltraHD 8gb for $60 but its refurbished. I heard only the 8 gb version has image stabilization, is that true?

Also would it be better if i spend $110 for the Kodak playsport Zi5. $70 more for 1080p, and external memory.

OR would it be alot better if i buy a regular sized camera. If it is please guide me to a budged camcorder in that range.

I am from Canada so take that into consideration when posting camcorder prices.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks.
ak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2

I have a Flip, and it's a fun little camera, but for a decent one, it seems like you'd be better off finding a digital P&S that offers a video mode. I can't speak for any special deals you can score on 'em, but if my Flip hadn't been a gift, I'd have probably just gone and gotten a little digicam for the same job, and I'd be able to take decent stills if needed.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:08 PM   #3

ok I see, there are some camcorders with good image still, like the Kodak zx3 is for $90 also thinking about it and its 5mp, so somewhat decent.

Though my friend has a digital camera with HD video capability and i personally didn't like the quality, the colours are kind of off, though i was only testing it out for 10 mins or so...

About the Kodak zx3 is it worth the extra $25 (no shipping cost from store) with 1080p and higher image still resolution compare to the Flip 8gb?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:15 PM   #4

There's also that the Flip is now out of production. Cisco will support them for a while, but after that, we're on our own. Not so bad given the price of these, but if it were my money, I'd definitely spend a little more on a camera with more tricks, and with better support in the future.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:03 PM   #5

ok thanks, yep I think I am going to just buy the Kodak Zx3.

Though should i get it in refurbished for $90 or brand new with a 4gb SD card, camera case and floating thing for $120 (only have the bundle on sale)?