Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:54 PM   #1

Default Canon S95 Vs Lumix

Hello,
I am a DSLR (Nikon D90) user. I am now looking to buy a point and shoot for a cruise, but also to carry with me daily as I miss so many shots due to I don't take my SLR everywhere I go.
I "think" I have narrowed it down to either a Canon S95 or a Panasonic Lumix (ZS5, ZS8 or ZS10), although the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V has intrigued me some.
So I am asking for help to decide which one to pic and if Lumix, which one, I have used the ZS5 and was impressed, yet reviews for the 8 and 10 are not great for image quality.
I love the F2.0 on the Canon, but lack of zoom.
Anyways...
What fo you all think?
Jeff
jpeters77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:04 PM   #2

I quite like the ZS5 (TZ8 over here in the UK)- it's a cheaper alternative to the next model up,with less advanced video(apparently... I don't use video..!)mode and a slightly smaller screen- though by only 0.3"- so,all in all,a very versatile camera with that nice sharp 25-300mm lens and finally on the TZ line- the full manual modes we've all been craving..!!
The Canon might have the edge(slightly) on image quality,though a shame the fast lens is only at wide angle- shutting down to f/4.9 at 105mm- the same aperture the Panasonic manages at 300mm...!!
I personally would go with the extra shooting parameters the zoom offers- and for what you can get the ZS5 for now,I think they're a steal..!
The ZS8(TZ18 over here) is a step up again with a pretty large zoom indeed(24-384mm),though only f/5.9 at the long end- which may need an increase in iso setting for sharp shots. It has a very fast auto-focus system on board and also a very fast burst mode. The prices on this model is also dropping now- again,to bargain proportions given what's on offer...
The ZS10(TZ20) has a few extra toys on board- would you pay the extra for GPS,3D etc...?

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:00 PM   #3

I have the ZS7 and am quite pleased with it for daylight usage, but above ISO 400, IQ suffers greatly. The ZS8/10 are a step down from there in IQ. I also have the S95 and although more zoom would be nice, you can't beat the IQ in a pocketable cam. The S95 has become my everyday camera and I have relegated the ZS7 to my wife.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:10 AM   #4

Jeff - it's worth noting that Canon announced the S100 - replacing the S95. The S100 will be available in November. Early reviews indicate image quality is improved (S100 uses a larger sensor than many digicams). You get more zoom too - although it comes at sacrificing the f2.0 at longest zoom.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:17 PM   #5

S100 looks nice, but $100 more yet lol.
What about the Canon Powershot 500 HS Digital ELPH? (It is $240 vs $340 for s95 and $440 for S100) Has a F2.0 which is great.
Thoughts?
jpeters77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:17 AM   #6

The S100 is actually available now. I am not sure if it has "officially" been released, but it is available at retail stores right now in the US (e.g. Best Buy). The low ISO IQ is a slight step down from the S95 in terms of sharpness/contrast it seems, but the high ISO performance is noticeably better than the S95.

The 500 HS won't match the S95/S100 in terms of IQ or low light performance, but the F2.0 lens is definitely a bonus and I think it's a good P&S overall.