Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:00 PM   #1

Default lens for large res. cameras

I hope this is the right forum for this, I have been considering buying the Sony A65 camera but have been having second thoughts now. There have been reviews and forms I've read that had made statement about that you would have to have a high grade (IE: G – Sony’s “Gold” series of lenses ) for any camera with large resolution like the A65 at 24MB to be able to utilize that full resolution. Do you loose that much IQ with say a normal SSM lens?
Thanks
windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:36 PM   #2
Administrator

There's little doubt that the denser 24MP APS-C size sensor in the new A65 and A77 models will place greater demands on the lens quality needed for best results.

I've already seen examples in the past where some lenses didn't show any improvement in detail captured when Sony went from 10MP to 14MP sensors. For example, you were basically just enlarging the same detail you got from the lower resolution sensor trying to use the older KM 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lens with a higher resolution camera than the 10MP Sony A100 or A200, since the line pairs/mm the lens was capable of capturing fell short of what you'd need to take advantage of the higher pixel density of the newer sensors.

That's probably one reason that Sony scrapped that lens design and went to an 18-55mm kit lens that performs better when reviews started pointing out the limitations with the old lens design on higher resolution cameras.

Of course, that kind of problem probably helps to sell high end lenses to users that want to get the most out of the latest and greatest high resolution sensors (and 24MP with this new Sony sensor is probably going to end up being a good example of that kind of thing). :-)

But, I wouldn't expect to capture less detail using a 24MP APS-C size sensor instead of a lower resolution sensor with the same lens, if you downsized the higher resolution images to the same size as the lower resolution sensor (to the same viewing/print sizes you'd normally use with the lower resolution sensors). IOW, at typical viewing and print sizes, the higher resolution sensor should work just fine, and you'd have more potential for even larger images with better lenses later.

Also, you're probably going to be using lenses with the aperture "stopped down" to apertures that get better sharpness from them in many conditions, so that you are getting better results than you would with lower resolution sensor.

IOW, I wouldn't avoid the higher resolution model just because you don't want to buy the latest and greatest Carl Zeiss or Sony G series lenses for it if you like the feature set the new cameras provide.

If you did go with higher quality lenses later, you'd get even more detail. But, if you started with lower quality lenses, you probably wouldn't lose anything at most printing and viewing sizes compared to using the same lenses on a lower resolution sensor, especially when used in conditions where you wouldn't need to shoot with the aperture wide open at higher ISO speeds (since most lenses are going to be sharper with the aperture stopped down a bit from wide open, and most cameras are going to give you better images when you don't use the highest available ISO speeds).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:38 PM   #3

There are a number of less expensive lenses that have done very well on Sony's new 24MP sensor, including the Tamron 17-50/2.8, the Sony 85/2.8, and the Minolta 70-210/4.0 "Beercan". The greater resolution will certainly make the flaws in an average lens more visible, but there are plenty of lenses that are better than average, and plenty good enough.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:22 PM   #4

... and don't cost an arm and a leg.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote