Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:08 PM   #11
HHG

One of the important aspects of buying a used camera is knowing the shutter count. It's kind of like a mileage report for a car. Every camera has a shutter count threshold before the shutter needs to be replaced (cost approx. $200). If you are going to buy used, make sure you get that information. Also, in regards to lenses, there are lots of sites/camera stores that allow you to rent lenses. It's a good way to try out a lens before you buy since lenses can be quite expensive.
HHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:40 PM   #12

So there have been a number of recommendations for a refurbished body, so they are good quality refurbishes? I am only wary of refurbished because my only previous experience with a refurbished product has been a cell phone from Verizon, which was crap. It has left me with a perhaps unnecessary cautiousness for refurbished products.

I will consider them though. Is it possible to purchase extended drop protection for a refurbished product? Similar to what best buy offers with the "geek squad" protection against drops and water damage?

Also, what is the canon loyalty program? I cannot use that because I do not have a canon camera right now to return, correct?

Does the 15-85 offer better quality than the 17-70?

Last edited by Jboro; Oct 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM.
Jboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:49 PM   #13

Canon Refurbs are good to go. I've personally been to their operation in Virgina, and their Refurbished cameras are basically as good as new ones, with the exception of possible slight blemishes on the exterior. I also personally own/use a Refurb EOS 50D.

If you get it directly from Canon, or from Adorama, I would not hesitate to get a refurb if that allows you to get the model you want at a price you can afford.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboro View Post
Does the 15-85 offer better quality than the 17-70?
Yes, though it's maximum aperture is smaller.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:29 PM   #15

I was checking out BH photo site and saw that they offer extended protection plans through sagemax, that you can buy with camera equipment, does Adorama offer anything similar?
Jboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:16 PM   #16

For the loyalty program, just find an old 35mm p&s on ebay or at a thrift store. While I've been a Canonballer since I bought my old Rebel X in the mid '90s, I just didn't have the heart to give it up, since it still works perfectly (my daughter is interested in it too). So, I found a cheap Canon to send in. It doesn't have to work or anything.

Last edited by spacer; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote