Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:05 PM   #1

Default First DSLR? Used or New?

I have been looking at getting a new camera for a while now, and I think that I have ruled out a bridge camera, Even with the greater zoom, I dont think I could be happy with the small evf, or the lag, as compared to a DSLR.

I have decided to look at canons right now, and since this is my first DSLR, I have begun to wonder if it might be a better bet to buy an older one rather than a newer one, since I am afraid a newer one might just be too much camera for a beginner like me.

I am looking at a new 60d or a used 30d, I have ruled out the rebel line, I just like the OVF on the 60D more and also the feel is just better to me, I have not ever seen a 30d in reality, but being the same series as 60d, I imagine they are similar?

I have looked at the specs on DPreview and have decided that a 30d looks good, but I am worried about low light shots with it, and also overall quality since it is an older camera with an older sensor. I want something to take on vacations so I would be shooting at night as well.

So are there any other cameras that I have overlooked that I should consider that would be a good price? I like the 30d especially becasue on paper at least it fits into a good price point for for me if I were to go the used route. The 60d is also a good price for me if I were to go new.

I already have a basic idea of what lenses I would get with either camera.

Does Nikon have any good old cameras at low prices that compare to the 30D?

Also, just to keep options open, what are some good current bridge cameras to you? Fuji HS20? Panasonic fz100?

So is the 30d to old to be a good first camera? The used part does worry me a little, but surely there are good places to buy used? Would the 60d be too much camera for a beginner at too high a price?

I would love to get some opinions on the used 30D vs New 60d debate. Or am overlooking other cameras I should be considering?
Jboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:25 PM   #2

Buying a used dSLR is much more of a gamble than buying a used P&S. DSLRs have alot more moving parts that wear out, and there's no way to know how much use and abuse a dSLR has received. If you're interested in saving some money, perhaps you'd be better off with a refurbished dSLR than a used one. Many retailers sell refurbished dSLRs that come with a 90 day manufacturer's warranty (instead of the regular 1 year warranty), but Adorama.com sells refurbished Canon dSLRs with a 1 year store warranty, so that might be a more attractive option.

Many of the refurbished models are current, though some may be a generation or two old, so you'd be getting something more up-to-date than a 30D, but of course, at a greater cost.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Just get a 60D. There is no significant way in which it will be more complicated than a 30D, or in any way less suitable for a beginner.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:06 PM   #4

Hi Jboro- functionality wise,the 60D should prove no more difficult(or easy) than the 30D...
Both are great camera's- I've long been(and still am..) a BIG fan of the Canon "semi-pro" models from the old 10D onwards. The 30D will still yield great quality images(in the right hands),though inevitably,some things have moved forward- not least high iso noise control- something the "old" 30D was pretty good at,but not quite up to the 60D's level.
As for bridge camera's- the Panasonic DMC FZ150 is pretty impressive- good image quality(by bridge standards),very versatile zoom range(and pretty decent optically) and very fast operational speed.
As for Used v New- probably not a bad idea to go used for someone learning the ropes,provided you can get it cheap enough so that if/when it gives up- it doesn't really matter...!
However- there's nothing like a new camera....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:22 PM   #5

I agree with everything written above: 60d is just as easy/difficult as older model. BUT it's worth noting that with the 60d canon moved to a plastic build so the body is more in line with the rebels than the 50d or prior xxD models if that's a concern.

I also agree - refurb is much safer route than used.

Finally, I have no idea what your experience level is, but I thought it worth mentioning: a DSLR with kit lens is NOT going to be capable of doing every type of shooting. The types of shooting you intend to do may require additional lenses or external flash or other equipment. Doesn't mean you need all that at the start but it COULD mean that some of your photographic goals are not achievable at the start.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:28 PM   #6

I just received my 60D from Canon's refurb program. It may be plastic, but it feels far more substantial than my Rebel or a friend's T2i. I picked up the camera as a package with battery, charger, and 18-135 IS lens for just over $800 with their loyalty trade-in. I didn't have the heart to send in my old Rebel X (my first SLR, bought about 14 years ago) like I'd planned, so I found a bargain bin Canon P&S to send in.
Compared to retail, that's a pretty decent deal, I figure.

I'd maybe even take a refurb over new, as it's probably been checked out more thoroughly than a new one.Otherwise, any used electronics are a gamble, though I don't doubt there are some good deals out there.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:41 AM   #7

Actually, I had thought about lenses. My plan was and still is until someone can explain why it is a bad one, to buy body only and get a sigma 17-70 2.8-4, and possibly a Tamron 40-300 4-5.6 USD. These seem to me to be a useful combination, and not too expensive either, and I'm not too sure of the kit lens that come with the 60d.
Jboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:13 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Those are certainly decent lenses you have in mind.

Consider though, if you can, instead stretching to the Canon 15-85 and 70-300, which IMO the perfect balance for a 2-lens kit for a 60D.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:55 AM   #9

nice choice the 15-85 and the 70 -300 get an L. You will save a lot by getting the sigma 17-70os and even more by getting 55-250is from canon, this lens punches well above its weight
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:48 AM   #10

The Sigma 17-70 is an ok choice for a stabilized standard zoom. The Canon 15-85 is better, but it's more expensive and it's got a smaller maximum aperture. The Tamron 70-300 USD, and Canon's 55-250 IS, 70-300 IS USM and 70-300 'L' IS USM are all good choices, their respective qualities corresponding to their prices.

Keep in mind that, like their dSLR bodies, some of Canon's lenses are available refurbished as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote