Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:20 AM   #11

FiveO- I think you mean the Fujifim XS-1,due out early-ish next year...
http://www.cameragearguide.com/5116/...a-better-look/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufvasven View Post
Tcav, yes hadn't thought like that. But I'm still buying just a budget DSLR and I won't buy any tele/macro lenses I'm quite sure - so the lense that comes with the kit - will it really be any good on a budget or more mid-level body in the future?
The kit lenses that come with entry level dSLRs are all relatively good, but their zoom range is very limited, especially when compared to a Superzoom. An 18-55 lens (on an APS-C dSLR body) has an angle of view of from ~74 to ~28. That's good for many things, but it can be quite frustrating if it doesn't happen to be enough. The best dSLR in the world won't help if the only lens you've got won't do what you want.

I think that, with a dSLR, you may be painting yourself into a corner.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:19 PM   #13

Yes, well I have a 5 year old super zoom right now with 10x optical zoom and that is quite sufficent for what I take photos of

Of course I can't rule out buying a tele-lens in the future, but... right now just the camera price feels steep enough for a student
dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:18 PM   #14

at 100-400iso in good lighting the only thing that will be a real noticeable difference is the dof of the smaller sensor vs the larger dslr sensor.

Above 400iso you will really see the noise come in with the point and shoot. The d3100 will be good to 1600iso and acceptable at 3200iso. Something the megazooms can not do well at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufvasven View Post
When it comes to image quality, are there super zoom cameras that are about the same quality as the Nikon 3000D?
I'm been looking at things like Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 and Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR... (assuming they were good super zooms - but I don't really know ).

Also the 1000D seems to have better image quality/noise reduction right? But sadly without image stabilization which might ruin the advantage (I hate to use tripods). Can't find the 1000D IS lens one here and wouldn't the price tag be like 100 more anyway?).

Also over both those models, I'd prefer the D3100 or the 1100D IS lens but they are 130-140 more expensive here, not sure if it's justifiable for a casual user.

Any other alternatives that I've missed?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
FiveO- I think you mean the Fujifim XS-1,due out early-ish next year...
http://www.cameragearguide.com/5116/...a-better-look/
Yep, that's the one.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:12 AM   #16

Thanks.

Right now I can get these prices where I live:
D3000: 300€
D3100 with non-VR lens: 400€
D3100 with VR lens: 430€

1000D without IS lens: 300€
1100D without IS lens: 350€
1100D with IS lens: 430€

I have a hard time deciding.. If money wasn't an issue I'd pick the 3100D VR... But if I didn't want to pay that price, what would of second best value? 1100D without IS lens? I assume the optics in those lenses are still as good as the IS-lens (unlike the 1000D). Would like to wait and see if the price drops on the VR/IS ones... but I doubt it will within the weeks (I need my camera in 4 weeks).

Also, for that price (430€) are there other budget cameras worth considering?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:51 AM   #17

Why the digicam manufacturers are not using bigger image sensor than 1/2.3" ???

Even my old cheap Sony DSC-W5 (yr 2005) has 1/1.8" CCD sensor, which is at least much better in terms of sensor size than new advanced (yr 2011) Fz150 :-)
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTechie View Post
Why the digicam manufacturers are not using bigger image sensor than 1/2.3" ???

Even my old cheap Sony DSC-W5 (yr 2005) has 1/1.8" CCD sensor, which is at least much better in terms of sensor size than new advanced (yr 2011) Fz150 :-)
Physics. Larger sensor = larger lens = larger camera. The Canon S95/S100/G12, Olympus XZ-1, Panasonic LX5, etc. all have 1/17" or 1/1.63" sensors, but they are limited to 5x zoom or less and none of them are truly pocketable except the S95/S100. The Nikon P7100 goes up to 7x, but it's even bigger still. The Fuji XS-1 has a similarly sized sensor in a bridge cam, but the camera is going to be very big and very heavy compared to an FZ150 and as is the case with all bridge cams with such a long zoom, there will be lens-related problems at one or both ends of the zoom. Also, Fuji brought a similar cam to market several years ago and it was a huge flop. No one wanted it because the price, size, and weight made a dSLR seem like a better option to most potential buyers.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:03 PM   #19

canon 1100D as it can shoot an ev bracket, which the d3100 can not do. Lens option I would go with the stabilized lens personally.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:43 PM   #20

Well to give you an update...
I was about to buy the D3100 VR but now I found out the Pentax-KR is just a little bit more expensive...
It has better image quality right?

I don't like the looks of the Pentax and I realize it's worse on video mode, but otherwise it's a better buy no?
Don't care much for the extra mega pixels on the nikon either if it doesn't come with better image quality.
Somebody said the image stabilization on it isn't as good

Last edited by dufvasven; Nov 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM.