Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:03 AM   #1

Default Budget DSLR vs. Super zoom cameras

When it comes to image quality, are there super zoom cameras that are about the same quality as the Nikon 3000D?
I'm been looking at things like Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 and Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR... (assuming they were good super zooms - but I don't really know ).

Also the 1000D seems to have better image quality/noise reduction right? But sadly without image stabilization which might ruin the advantage (I hate to use tripods). Can't find the 1000D IS lens one here and wouldn't the price tag be like 100€ more anyway?).

Also over both those models, I'd prefer the D3100 or the 1100D IS lens but they are 130-140€ more expensive here, not sure if it's justifiable for a casual user.

Any other alternatives that I've missed?
dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:40 AM   #2

Other option might be a DSLR like the Sony's that have the image stabilization built into the body.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:54 AM   #3

Thanks. Tried to look for some Sony models, but they were all above 400€ so didn't really help

Is it just me or is the D3000 quite a bit worse than a 1000D in noise level/sharpness?
It's frustrating.. that only the IS thing seems to force me to pick the D3000.
But is the D3000 so much worse that it's comparable to those super zooms in quality (then I could just as well buy those and get video+smaller size).. stupid to run around with a huge camera if it's not even taking better pictures than the smaller ones...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4

The thing about buying a dSLR is that you're buying into a system. The lenses and accessories that you buy for a dSLR will outlast the body, so you need to think about the investment differently than you would for a superzoom. The Tamron 70-300 SP VC USD telephoto zoom or the Sigma 105/2.8 macro lens will work on the body you buy to replace the D3000 or 1000D with, so spending the extra money now will mean saving money later. But the lens you buy today for the Canon 1000D won't fit on the Nikon D400 that you'll buy 3 years from now, so you need to pick your system wisely.

That's not true of a superzoom. When you want to upgrade (or just get tired of) your FZ45, you can just throw it away and start ovver.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:20 AM   #5

The D3000, even if it doesn't have great image quality above ISO 800, has a much, much bigger sensor than the superzooms. However, lots of people have been praising the Sony HX100v, and the Panasonic FZ150, which are supposed to have pretty good image quality to at least ISO 400 and perhaps higher (It depends on your standards). The Fuji HS20EXR has decent low light image quality if you use the low light EXR mode and reduce image resolution to 8 megapixels. I was really happy with my FZ28 image quality to ISO 800, but there are others who thought that all although it was a good superzoom, its image quality was simply not up to DSLR standards. That's particularly true for people who pay a lot of attention to a blurred backgrounds behind (and in front of) the focused subject.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:17 PM   #6

G'day dv

As others ^ have said - there are many things to consider, both + & - in the choice of a camera ... and the sensor size & its ability to produce the image is one of those things to consider

It is true that the sensor on a superzoom is "about 10%" the area of a dSLR, and as such, every image needs to be magnified a lot more to achieve a specific print / display size. It is also true that the bigger the image you start with, the better the result

We saw this back in film days with the 'battle' between 35mm users vs 6x4,5 users - the versatility of the 35mm cameras vs film size of the 6x4,5 cameras .... and ... the same happens today as well - the versatility of the superzoom vs the quality of the dSLR

It is your decision as to whether you want 'versatility & convenience' or 'high' image quality. If you are making money from your photography, you need dSLR quality: if you are out to enjoy being a photographer, a superzoom may satisfy all your needs

ps- I'll try to post some image comparisons later today between superzoom & dSLR

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:50 PM   #7

G'day again dv

Just shot some comparison images for you to consider
Cameras = Panasonic FZ-100 + Panasonic G2 + Pentax Kx
Lenses were 24x [inbuilt] + panny 45-200mm + Sigma 28-300mm
All cameras set to ISO-200; WB = Sunny, + 12 mpx image size, exposure on "P" program

First comparitive image:-
Ex-camera images were cropped for a 1000px wide 'slice', joined into a panel of 3 side-by-side, text added, composite image then dropped to 1200px wide and saved to JPG at 250kb size or thereabouts for posting here

Second comparitive image:-
Ex-camera images were cropped to 400 x 400px 'pixel-peeps', joined into a panel of 3, text added, and as above, dropped to 1200px wide and saved to JPG format

Image -1 ... the target house > camera to subject distance about 125metres [400 ft]

Image -2 ... selected panels

Image -3 ... close ups [400px x 400px crops]

Without taking anything away from other responses above, one of the things that disturbs me is the comparison some make to the performance differences between say, a superzoom like the FZ above selling at $600, versus the image performance of a good canon or nikon with a 70-200mm lens which sells for $2000 after you have bought the camera

I hope the above image 'test' will give you enough info & confidence to choose what's best for you - whether it's a superzoom or a dSLR matters not ... it's your camera, your choice, your fun to enjoy

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Oct 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM. Reason: typo
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:52 PM   #8

Much of what you ask depends on what you intend shooting,your budget and your expectations. DSLR's are still king when it comes to image quality- even the "budget" models- and their output governed primarily by the lens attached.
That said,super-zoom/bridge cameras are improving all the time in the image quality department- the latest Canon SX40HS and Panasonic's FZ150 look really impressive if uploaded webshots are anything to go by. They're also supremely versatile- covering every(well,almost) type of photography in one small,relatively inexpensive package,plus a whole host of other tricks up their sleeves.
So,again- I guess it comes down to what you want to shoot,your budget and your expectations...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:31 PM   #9

Thanks for all the answers! Appreciated!

Tcav, yes hadn't thought like that. But I'm still buying just a budget DSLR and I won't buy any tele/macro lenses I'm quite sure - so the lense that comes with the kit - will it really be any good on a budget or more mid-level body in the future?

Ozzie-> wow thanks for that

I guess I'm mostly going to shoot outdoors... landscapes... but also some forest shots (but rarely any tele shots of birds etc.). but also some indoors and now and then in the evneings I guess So I need a bit of all, but primarily outdoors in cloudy or sunny conditions, non-zoomed shots. Still.. I know taking a photo of say... a tree or a bush in the forest... it can be quite dark even in the day - making it hard without image stabilization.

I'm slighlty considering stepping up to the 430€ price level (Nikon D3100 or Canon EOS 1000D)... but then that opens up for even more cameras no? Or are those two the best in that price category?

Last edited by dufvasven; Oct 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufvasven View Post
When it comes to image quality, are there super zoom cameras that are about the same quality as the Nikon 3000D?
No.

If you are shooting in good sunlight at low ISO and printing fairy small prints, the IQ will likely appear to be similar. The problem is that more often than not, you won't be shooting at ISO 80/100 with a bridge cam and the worse the lighting and the higher the ISO, the more noticeable the difference in IQ becomes.

Personally, if I was buying a bridge cam today, I would be looking at the Panasonic FZ150 and the Canon SX40 - both in terms of IQ and just the best overall bridge cams. If IQ was absolutely paramount and I wasn't concerned about size/weight, I'd be looking at Fuji's new bridge cam (can't recall model) with the larger sensor. I believe it's going for about $600 USD (if it has even been released).