Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:31 PM   #11

Probably not. I went back to some extreme closeup photos I had taken with a CP5700 and they show more DOF than shown in your snake photo.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:48 PM   #12

I managed to get this with an old Canon S3is....
So why not the snake with the latest SX40hs...
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:00 PM   #13

Or this one over quite a distance.... on an old Fuji S9500...
A variety of DOF is available,even with humble cameras....
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:31 PM   #14

Thank you everyone. All the inputs are much appreciated. This has been really helpful in getting a stronger understanding of what I want out of a camera and how best I can balance the price-benefit equation.

I have finalized the Bridge Cameras. DSLRs, I will wait for another couple of years maybe. I will go for Canon SX40 HS though not with the conviction that I would be comfortable with

Thanks again!
vinod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:17 AM   #15

[QUOTE=vinod24;1263671]Would I be able to get images like below using an FZ150 or an SX40 HS?

Hi,

Would you be satisfied with an image like this?

This was taken using the Canon SX40 HS. And, no I didn't take the shot. I ran a search on PBase.com for images taken with a Canon SX40 HS. And I suggest you do the same. In looking at images on various photo websites, you can gather a lot of information as to how the photographer was able to take the shot, what settings he used-i.e. shutter speed, mode, focal length, etc.

I also would very much recommend you joining a camera club in your area to get a better understanding on the nuances involved in what makes a good image and how to achieve that.

If a club is not possible, then get a 'how to' book on Digital Photography. Scott Kelby publishes a number of them. They are inexpensive but provide a wealth of knowledge.

Having a good camera is only the beginning.The rest is up to you.

Good luck

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Would you be satisfied with an image like this?

This was taken using the Canon SX40 HS. And, no I didn't take the shot. I ran a search on PBase.com for images taken with a Canon SX40 HS. And I suggest you do the same. In looking at images on various photo websites, you can gather a lot of information as to how the photographer was able to take the shot, what settings he used-i.e. shutter speed, mode, focal length, etc.

I also would very much recommend you joining a camera club in your area to get a better understanding on the nuances involved in what makes a good image and how to achieve that.

If a club is not possible, then get a 'how to' book on Digital Photography. Scott Kelby publishes a number of them. They are inexpensive but provide a wealth of knowledge.

Having a good camera is only the beginning.The rest is up to you.

Good luck

Zig
That is a good image given that there were branches in between.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably scour the net for info. Do not want to be too academic here
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:08 AM   #17

If you want some really in depth reviews of the current superzoom line up,run a search with Cameralabs...
Here's a review of the Panasonic FZ150-
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...50/index.shtml

They also have one for the Canon SX40hs and the Sony HX100v
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
If you want some really in depth reviews of the current superzoom line up,run a search with Cameralabs...
Here's a review of the Panasonic FZ150-
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...50/index.shtml

They also have one for the Canon SX40hs and the Sony HX100v
Thanks mate.

Done all of that and froze on SX40 HS. Anymore intellectualization on this front would be overcooking the broth. I have decided not relook at this unless I come across any gross negative in the camera.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:25 PM   #19

My 0.02 worth.

With regard to the Q. about , can I get that image with the 2 cameras?

I would say.. YES .. if you used a closeup lens (1) .

The closeup lens is just a magnifying glass (from my experience that's the best
description).

When you set you camera at a point where, normally it's focusing at a long distance
and the magnifying lenses are in focus then you've sent the right distance for the
magnifying lenses. It's identical to how your eye would see an
object, look at it with your eye relaxed as if you're looking far off and the lens brings
it into focus. The farther edges, of the subject, are out of focus and the area in focus is defined by
the magnification of the lens. Let's make it simple:

if the lens had no magnification or that of 0 (I think) then everything would be
in focus (and dependent on the camera lenses).. but for the sake of understanding
let's assume the camera is in focus at all distances (A pinhole camera would be this way).

So you put on a +1 or magnification lens and then part of the snake (it was a snake
image), is in focus and some is out of focus.

Add another lens for a +2 (or other magnification) and less of the snake is in focus
but the part , which is in focus, is magnified.

That's HOW you get a shallow depth of field with any camera..

Now, frankly, I've only thought that through based on my experience. I'm not an expert
in lenses, their focal lengths or other factors where a mathematician would understand
how each element (of the formulas) come into play.

But play with a magnifying lens.. and simply 'feel' the muscles of your eye.. whether
they are straining to pull into focus your cornea or if they're relaxed. You can
determine , a lot about, what a magnifying lens will do in front of a camera lens.

Sorry to confuse if I got a fact backwards. I'm a bit under the gun to finish up.

Kindest regards,
Andre
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:57 AM   #20

hi vinod, i know yor problem me too in dilemma whr to and what to buy .!!! i was also thinking of buying super zoom dig cam..but later on i realized that i am a regular Adobe photoshoppist and sometimes i want instant sharp and high quality pictures - portraits and landscapes ,,so i made up my mind to buy among CANON 550D NIKON D3100 or NIKON D5100..! but still confused to choose which! 550D and d5100 might not fall under the budget u asked...but image quality and vdo quality are superb...D3100 is also not bad...it works highly fine than any digi cams....the top adv of dslrs are the RAW format pictures which helps u to play with their brightness,contrast and effects more freely and with your taste and flavour !!..
** top of my list is actually "NIKON D5100" 'coz ratings(websites) are high for it !
if u want to compare and decice go to snapsort.com...
satyamjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote