Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc227 View Post
Last question I hope! How big of a deal is a self cleaning sensor? It seems to be the main difference between the T1I and T3, and also a possible deciding factor between the T3 and Sony a390.
I owned a Nikon D50 from April 2006 until October, 2008, when I sold the D50 and bought a Sony A300. I still have the sony, and it still serves me well. I took my Granddaughter's very first pictures when she was born, and have been shooting her ever since; I am quite happy. If and when I upgrade, it will be Sony. Main reason being I have so many Minolta AF lenses that are just too good to give up, and I bought the Sony 50 f1.4 a couple years ago, a great lens.

Self cleaning sensor. I don't know enough to make an intelligent comment on that subject, except to say that in the three years I have been shooting and changing lenses, I have cleaned my sensor only once, and that was with the rocket blower only. I don't own a "wet" kit.

Trying to decide which camera to buy is always a painful experience. Just make sure wherever you buy it has a decent return policy in case buyer's remorse sets in.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:20 AM   #12

Good Morning,

In camera Self Cleaning capability in my opinion is somewhat hit and miss, and in some ways something of a gimmick. I believe it does work to some extent. That said, I really know of no comparison as to which brand has the best technique or approach. At the end of the day, its a rocket blower that you are going to have to use - just like everyone else. The wet kit is something that you can acquire (and they are not that expensive ~ $30) if the blower does not work - however, that is down the line a bit since your new camera should be pretty clean. You can also take it to a camera shop that has an onsite repair capability. They may not service your particular camera brand, but they certainly can clean any sensor (ala the wet kit). I did this a couple of years ago after returning from a Navy at sea exercise. Did a lot of images from Vultures Roost on top of the island, and stack gas - or soot had accumulated. Took it into a local shop that did a lot of professional work Canon, Nikon and Hasselblad. They cleaned it right up in a day. It was a Pentax and they had no problem with it.

On your original question - really any brand will service your needs quite well. I would not be at all hesitant about Pentax. They have been making cameras and lenses for 90 years. In the 60s and 70s they essentially owned the SLR market. They were slow to transition, however they still offer excellent products. They were recently purchased by Ricoh, so they will be around for a long while. Although, their line is currently limited to 2 SLR bodies, they are excellent (entry level and an advanced model) and compare very favorably against everyone else's offerings. Their lens offerings are also somewhat limited, however when you take in to account that their image stabilization is in the body and not in the lens, then their lens offerings becomes very similar to Canon and Nikon, other than telephoto over 300mm and specialty lenses like shift/tilt lenses. I don't think that you are going to spend over $1k per lens any time soon. They are particularly known for their primes, and the ability to use any of their lenses or older screw M42 lenses produced over the last 50 years.

... hope that helps....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:19 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Good Morning,

In camera Self Cleaning capability in my opinion is somewhat hit and miss, and in some ways something of a gimmick. I believe it does work to some extent. That said, I really know of no comparison as to which brand has the best technique or approach.
I haven't seen one in a years. But, there were a few comparisons around, and the conclusion was that Olympus has the best method. IOW, it's more of a marketing gimmick with other brands. Here's an old comparison from 2007:

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

Quote:
But, At the end of the day, its a rocket blower that you are going to have to use - just like everyone else. The wet kit is something that you can acquire (and they are not that expensive ~ $30) if the blower does not work - however, that is down the line a bit since your new camera should be pretty clean...
The anti-dust systems may have improved over the past few years (better anti-static coatings on AA filters, etc. would probably help). But, for the most part, a rocket blower is going to work a lot better.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:24 AM   #14

Having an anti-dust system is better than not having one, but it shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision as to which dSLR to buy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:36 PM   #15

Well after doing the research I was going to get the Pentax K-x, but then I saw that our local walmart has the Canon T3 w/ 18-55mm kit lens, Camera Bag, 4GB Memory Card, and photo album for $479 on black friday. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, what do you guys think?
djc227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:16 AM   #16

Morning,

The deal, although local seems to be a bit on the rich side....
I would concentrate on the camera a bit more and less on the accessories. The 4GB card is worth about $5, the photo album is probably worthless (are you going to print your images?) and the bag, depending on what it actually is, - is probably worth about $10. Overall, the bundled deals (other than the kit lenses) are really nothing to write home about.
I would take a look at and follow this link for some general camera deals, as they tend to track just about everything - cameras.
I admit that since I use Pentax, I am a bit more familiar with them, however - you can extend the specific observations generally to whatever make you may be interested in.

The Pentax Kx was replaced by the Pentax Kr - essentially the same camera and sensor with some added minor features that Pentax was criticized for leaving out on the Kx. Pentax has the Kx/Kr entry level product on a 12 month cycle. Currently, they are a bit late on this. So, I would expect that the Kr is going to be replaced sometime in the next couple of months - probably, I would suspect right after the holidays (but - what do I know). That said, I would expect the price to soften up on the Kr quite a bit. This happened on the Kx, Km/2000, K200, K100 (all the previous models). It usually hits its lowest point when the new model starts shipping. I am going to guess here and expect everyone to sell off their current stocks in to the Holidays, and refresh their inventory with the new model next year. The other thing, is after the price dips substantially, then it goes back up since there is always some residual demand for the old model.

So, if you can wait, I would look at the Kr and maybe a 2 lens kit for - now I am guessing (I don't know anything) - for around the low $500ish. Also, Pentax usually packs some additional features into its "entry" line that the other vendors don't (they have more models to spread the features across - for product differentiation). So, Pentax might be a couple of dollars more than the other's base entry model products - but you also get a bit more.

You can walk back (for any camera make) here - but I am using Pentax as an example....
Back - last month, there was a deal Kx & the 2 lens kit (open box) for $380, I see. So you need to be quick (and to be fair, there was only a limited number available), and that I would tend to support my guess that we might see the Kx and/or Kr kits for $500ish price tag. This is just what I would do and price levels I would try to look for going through the end of the year.

Also, for the 2 lens kit - I would expect the 18-55 and the 50-200 lens combination. The 18-55 and the 55-300 lens combination the other 2 lens kit that they offer has been at the $660 level and the 55-300 lens is a better lens optically. However, that said the 50-200 lens is not a bad lens - its just that the 300 lens turned out to be a very good optical design. For a good price - I would take the 2 lens kit with the 50-200 and be very happy. I have used both lenses - and they both are very good kit lenses - its just that the 300 turned out a bit better.

If you look through the various deals, (and for completeness) Pentax offers yet another camera bundle - Kr with the DA35mm/f2.4. This lens is extraordinary. Pentax is known for their prime lenses. In this lens they actually (I believe) crippled it at f2.4. Pentax has another prime, their legendary FA 31mm/f1.8 Limited lens that sells for well over $1000. This 35mm comes close to the Limited - for around $225-250. It does not have the focal range of the zoom, but its a very special prime design that they have hit a home run with.

In terms of kit lenses, this is where you are going to get your best deals.

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:00 AM   #17

go for good and less expensive dslr like canon 1100D or nikon 3100D ..less expensive because later on u can addup little bit more of photography things ,stuffs like tele(zoom) or macro lens(portraits,fine 3d like closeups)..can buy tripod for that pro-looking snaps, filters for effects,etc..so i say buy economical best DSLR not top end entry levels !
satyamjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote