Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:29 PM   #1

Default Canon 5D Mark ll Questions

MOVED TO CANON DSLR FORUM

I've admired the Canon 5D Mk. ll from afar over the past couple of years. A fellow photographer has one, very impressed with his work with this camera.

Currently I have two ASP-C bodies and an assortment of lenses...not a Canon system. I'm very pleased with the equipment of this cropped sensor.

I also have a Canon G 12 and a 430 EX ll flash. Very pleased with this little camera, although I realize it won't match a DSLR...either a cropped sensor or a full frame.

Anyways..the Canon 5D2 and Canon 24-105 L lens is going for a great price up here right now.

It's still more than I would like to spend...but I don't deny that it isn't worth it.

Some questions though :
  • Does the 5D2's picture quality really exceed the picture quality of a top quality (say Canon 7D) cropped sensor DSLR at say 8 X 10 or 11 X 14 ?
  • Wondering what the experience of someone who has had...say a 7D and gone to a 5D2 ? Was it worth it or not worth it ? Why ?
  • What have owners of a 5D2 found to be the advantages or disadvantages of the 5D2 ?
  • How do you find the 24-105 Canon lens as a top quality lens ?

Mostly I take pictures of vintage vehicles (parked) in the outdoors...landscapes, wildlife....birds perched, a few BIF ( my older DSLR @ 3fps seems to capture them reasonably well) , wild animals in the bush, etc.

Thanks for any answers, much appreciated.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Is it worth it? I don't know.

Yes the quality is tremendous. And it's a great workhorse for wedding, portrait, studio, even PJ type work.

More resolution is always good, but the benefits are very marginal at the print sizes you are talking about.

There is a big debate over the 24-105 f4 IS vs 24-70 f2.8, I personally prefer the 24-105. The IS and the extra range is worth it if you don't absolutely need to shoot at f2.8 all the time.

Check out the blur charts at Slrgear.com.

Its AF is okay, but not brilliant even compared to the best of the APS-C cameras. You can use it for wildlife, but don't expect it to compare to 1-series performance.

It's not going to make your photography any better, not unless it gives you a massive inspirational boost and encourages you to take a ton of photos.

As for myself, my 5D2 is sitting unused in the cupboard because I have hardly used it at all since I got my X100. That's the potential power of a new camera - it can inspire you, and if it does "click" for you, gives you a sense of "rightness" then it's worth it. But is the 5D2 that camera for you? There's no way to tell.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Is it worth it? I don't know.

Yes the quality is tremendous. And it's a great workhorse for wedding, portrait, studio, even PJ type work.

More resolution is always good, but the benefits are very marginal at the print sizes you are talking about.

There is a big debate over the 24-105 f4 IS vs 24-70 f2.8, I personally prefer the 24-105. The IS and the extra range is worth it if you don't absolutely need to shoot at f2.8 all the time.

Check out the blur charts at Slrgear.com.

Its AF is okay, but not brilliant even compared to the best of the APS-C cameras. You can use it for wildlife, but don't expect it to compare to 1-series performance.

It's not going to make your photography any better, not unless it gives you a massive inspirational boost and encourages you to take a ton of photos.

As for myself, my 5D2 is sitting unused in the cupboard because I have hardly used it at all since I got my X100. That's the potential power of a new camera - it can inspire you, and if it does "click" for you, gives you a sense of "rightness" then it's worth it. But is the 5D2 that camera for you? There's no way to tell.

Thank you for your thoughts, I do appreciate your views, particularly about the print sizes.

Currently I use Pentax DSLR and exclusively Pentax lenses (no after market) and I'm very happy with the sharpness, clarity and colour rendtion of the the pictures produced.

I have been thinking of either continuing with the cropped sensor by buying a Pentax K5....or going full frame....5D Mk. 11.

I like to think that I'm fairly discerning and at this point at 8 X 10 print size with the ASP-C sensor in a DSLR...I'm pleased.

If the full frame wouldn't offer significant improvement, it does make me think I might be fine continuing in the ASP-C format.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote