Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Need camera for both nature and low-light concert photography

My wife and I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix s8100 (12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD) and have to return it to Costco (due to a problem with the A/V input that isnt letting us charge the battery anymore). We are up in the air as to whether we should purchase another of this same camera or try something different. Currently I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 (14.1 MP Digital Camera with 16x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and Built-In GPS).

We want this camera primarily for 3 reasons: closeup shots of my wife's art, nature/vacation pictures, concert photography taken in low-very low light.

This camera has done great in the first two environments but only so-so in the third. I prefer to shoot with low-very low light as opposed to using flash in most concert shots I take, as I feel the flash washes out much of the texture of the photos. With the Nikon I often see a great shot appear on the screen immediately after I take it, only for the camera to perform some sort of auto-correction that lightens the photo and kills much of what I liked about it initially. Does anybody know if this is an option I can turn off? I've looked into but have had no luck finding an answer so far. The Panasonic looks tempting but a number of reviews I have read are critical of the image quality in low light environment.

I'm looking for something in the same class as these cameras, around the $250 price range. I don't plan on using any video function, gps, anything fancy - I just want to be able to take clear photos in the aforementioned environments.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we have to return this camera soon.

Thanks in advance.
UberRudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:13 PM   #2

I am also interested in indoor shots without flash, sony wx9 maybe of interest to you. gychang
===
gychang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion but A) the zoom is too small, the 10X zoom we currently have is one of the things we love about the camera B) this description of "natural flash" sounds like exactly what I am frustrated by with our current camera:

Natural Flash mode takes a reference shot without flash and then uses that reference to correct the color, for far more lifelike images.

Thats a great description of what I would love to change with our current Nikon, but if you can change it, I haven't figured out how.
UberRudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4

I think it's going to be hard to find a small PoS camera that has a long zoom AND good low light performance. It's just basic physics and has to do with sensor size and lens size. I think your best shot is maybe a 4/3 camera with two lenses, one fast for low light and one with big zoom.

But which one and so on you have to ask someone else because I don't know so much about them.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Hi UberRudo- indoor low light photography,especially with zoom is just about the biggest achilles heel of any compact camera- some are better than others,but not by a huge margin..!
Here's a pretty in depth review of the Panasonic TZ20(ZS10) you mention...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...DMC_TZ20_ZS10/

You may want to try and scour photo sites suck as Flickr and hunt down indoor/concert photo's and see what they're taken on- see if the shots are of acceptable quality to you...

This is a nice little fella- if budget allows....
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Canon-...-Camera_review

Last edited by SIMON40; Nov 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquzz View Post
I think it's going to be hard to find a small PoS camera that has a long zoom AND good low light performance. It's just basic physics and has to do with sensor size and lens size. I think your best shot is maybe a 4/3 camera with two lenses, one fast for low light and one with big zoom.
^ This. You won't find a pocket cam with a long zoom and a larger sensor/faster lens (both essential to good low light performance). You can move up to a larger cam (Fuji has an upcoming bridge cam that offers both a larger sensor and long zoom), or you'll have to choose which feature means more to you.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:39 PM   #7

What everybody has said about big zooms and small sensors making good light shots difficult/impossible is true. Neverthless, I have a Fuji F72exr (=Fuji F70exr) that does reasonably well at ISO 1600 in the lowlight low noise EXR mode. However, the images are just 5 megapixels. To use that camera well, you need to read the manual completely and play with it a bit. Anyway, I think you can get some factory refurbished F72's for less than $150 on Ebay. The F72exr zooms from 27mm to 270mm. You can read a review of it on dcresource.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:26 PM   #8

To be honest I don't think you are going to find a compact that is going to give the results you are looking for at concerts. This is shot taken with the Fuji F72 EXR at ISO 1600 WITH flash.

A Compact System Camera such as the Panasonic Lumix G3 with the 20mm F1.7 pancake lens might give you the quality you are looking for but not at the price you are willing to pay. The other alternative is a DSLR at probably an even higher price.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:35 PM   #9

No such camera exist as others have pointed out. Low light without a flash is very costly setup. And if you add zoom, it gets even more expensive.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:17 AM   #10

no this ain't taken with flash......becoz the hands are not reflects any flash !
satyamjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote