Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:52 AM   #11

To cut a very long(and technical..!) story short- CMOS sensors use less power and are great where speed is necessary,as in burst captures(fps) on cameras or high speed video.
For some time they were seen as inferior to CCD's with regards image quality,but they have certainly caught up in that department.. hence the trend for more and more cameras utilising CMOS...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:39 AM   #12

Sahara-
Sometimes too much of something is not a good thing! We have reached a point in the megapixel race where we've actually- in many cases, tried to go too far. The end result is a noisier image, so some manufactures have started cutting back on the number of pixels, and improving the image quality in the process. It can be an advertising thing for those of those who don't actually understand that too much of something might not be better. You still see the higher pixel counts on DSLR chips- but you have to understand, you're dealing with a larger sensor chip size, so there is more room on the substrate for the individual pixel elements.
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:09 PM   #13

G'day sahara

In its simplest form, the 2 camera types of sensor are "CCD" and "CMOS" ... and each has distinct differences. For our purposes here it's a bit like motor car engines being 'petrol' or 'diesel' ie- both do the same job, tho a bit differently depending on the work required of them. For us as 'amateur - hobby' photographers there is little or no differences in them & their performance

Insofar as megapixels are concerned, in my opinion anything over 10mpx is wasted, as we collectively rarely if ever print images to 20 x 30 inches in size. For a perfectly-acceptable 8 x 12 inch print, 3 to 6 megapixels is enough

If you have a camera with both a viewfinder and a LCD screen, you have the best of both worlds - the traditional eyepiece for outdoors work, then the LCD to view things when that is easier to use

I would suggest that you try to do a side-by-side handle of both the SX40 & the FZ150 and choose the one that a) fits your hand/fingers/eye, b) feels to be the correct weight for you to carry, c) has the better, clearer viewfinder, and d) has a menu system that you find easy to follow

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:46 PM   #14

Sahara- the Canon does have a flash hot shoe- hidden under a plastic cover- and to be honest,I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the focusing- at any focal length or lighting conditions- though I believe the Panasonic is a faster focuser and apparently holds focus better in video mode,though again- I've had no issues here with the SX40.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:03 PM   #15

Sahara,
I bought a Panasonic ZS7 (TZ10 in UK) as I found I was not taking the FZ100 out with me because it was bulky. Not as big and heavy as a DSLR and lenses but too big to slip in a pocket and take anywhere.
I take the smaller camera with me a lot more than the bigger one. Obviously the bigger one has greater zoom, burst speed, a viewfinder and flip screen so they are not directly comparable but I am really pleased with the compact.

Cheers
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day sahara

[...]

Insofar as megapixels are concerned, in my opinion anything over 10mpx is wasted, as we collectively rarely if ever print images to 20 x 30 inches in size. For a perfectly-acceptable 8 x 12 inch print, 3 to 6 megapixels is enough

[...]

Regards, Phil
You are right about that, although a few more pixels offers greater choice in terms of cropping.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:18 PM   #17

Thanks everyone I ventured out to a Walmart that had the Canon but they did not have any of the others... perhaps Target will and i can try that approach. Looks like its Sony/ Canon or Pani for me
I do agree this is a bit bulkier than the P&S cameras but I do want something a little bit better and better zoom. I really need to compare how they work on auto as thats what I will use most of the time with the 3 lil ones
sahara910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:29 PM   #18

Just to confuse you, I have (and use) two DSLRs, but also love my Canon G10. I sold the G10 I originally bought new and "upgraded" to a G12, but hated it and sold it. I then found another G10 and am really happy with it. With good light (natural or flash) it takes pictures comparable to either of my DSLRs. In poor light it's not as good as the G11 or 12, but IMO neither of those is acceptable anyway, so unless I'm going to get a good picture from my G10 I use a DSLR. I've used superzooms of various manufacturers, but the IQ doesn't start to compare with the G10 (and nor did the G11 or G12).

Just my 2p worth.

Should have said. The used G10 cost me US$200.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Just to confuse you, I have (and use) two DSLRs, but also love my Canon G10. I sold the G10 I originally bought new and "upgraded" to a G12, but hated it and sold it. I then found another G10 and am really happy with it. With good light (natural or flash) it takes pictures comparable to either of my DSLRs. In poor light it's not as good as the G11 or 12, but IMO neither of those is acceptable anyway, so unless I'm going to get a good picture from my G10 I use a DSLR. I've used superzooms of various manufacturers, but the IQ doesn't start to compare with the G10 (and nor did the G11 or G12).

Just my 2p worth.

Should have said. The used G10 cost me US$200.
no no no I will not listen... LOL
I am already crazy with the ones i have... Of course you know I will now go and look up the G10
My DSLR is at $228 right now on ebay (sold with a speedlite flash and ultrasonic zoom so Im hoping it hits $375+) Does anyone know a place that compares auto. scene shots. I would love to know what the cameras will do with no work
sahara910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:00 PM   #20

For comparing sample images I use Steves (here), CameraLabs, and DCresource.

Kelly Cook