Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Default Downgrading from DSLR? What to look for in superzoom or bridge

Hey all
I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT that I never ever use, and my husband already has a Canon 7D with all the lenses and flashes etc.. so often if we go out for an all day trip (ie Busch Gardens etc) He will lug that and all of it's baggage, and I will generally shoot pics with my iphone 4. The trouble is I love to scrapbook and i have 3 kids. I want to get a lighter, "easier" camera than the DSLR to bring with me to assemblies/ parties/ park etc... and get decent photos. I know that I will not get what I get with a DSLR but I would like it to be better than the canon elph I have from 4 years ago as well lol
Anyhow I am not exactly sure what to look for as far as features go. I don;t want to spend more than $400 if i can help it as I want to sell my Rebel and lens and flash and hope to be close to what I will pay.
So it doesnt have to be ultra light but weight matters a little, I need a zoom for the zoo/ or assemblies. I need it to work well with my macbook pro and iphoto. I dont know if that facebook software is just on that samsung P&S but if thats an option that would be great.
Have been looking at
Coolpix L120, Powershot SX130Is, Finepix S2950, Cybershot DSC-HX5V, and some of the Lumix... I'm open to suggestions too. If I get greater than 10X optical zoom will it still be a steady focus? And when looking at image stabilization do I want Optical Electronic or Dual? Anything else? Seems like there are just too many choices lol... Thanks so much for your input
sahara910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2

I should also ask about the LCd and viewfinder.. I would like one that I can flip the LCD on for self portraits w the baby and wonder if I am out in the sun if I would need a viewfinder? Sometimes I almost cannot see my iphone outside at all.... thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:46 PM   #3

G'day Saraha

Welcome to Steves forum - nice to hear from you

Everything you ask for I / we here have heard before - you are not unique in wanting a camera that suits your needs ... and each of us had differing needs. If you meander back thru the various topics on the "I want a new camera" thread you will find other Qs and their Answers

The idea of downsizing is a good one for ergonomic reasons if for nothing else ... while a dSLR is an excellent 'technical' camera, nearly all of them are big & heavy with camera + a half-decent lens weighing in at maybe 1-1/2kilos - much too heavy for many people - including me

Each of the cameras you mention are good cameras from good camera makers - the 'trick' will be to find which one best fits your hand / eyes.

I would guess that your hubbie's dSLR lenses cover the equivalent of about 10x zoom from the wide-angle end of things to the tele-zoom end of things. Thus, I would suggest you look for one with 12x to 18x zoom rather than one with 20x to 30x zoom ... common sense will tell you that the longer the zoom the more camera shake will occur regardless of the image stabilisation system is inside the camera

In our household we have mostly Panasonic superzooms - we like them for their good ergonomics, good lenses, excellent viewfinders & easy to follow menu operations etc

When you settle down to play with 2 or 3 cameras side-by-side in the shop, you can compare the above couple of points and choose which suits 'you' best and buy that camera ... and have lots of enjoyment from it too

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:00 PM   #4

Thanks I have been looking through a bunch of the posts and I found a link here that narrowed it down to 5. I guess I am looking for real life answers like... How fast between the next picture, ease of flipping the LCD, can you even see the screen outside? How heavy are they (tried to figure this out in a best buy but they are all tethered to the counter so it makes it difficult and the person in the department had no idea...) So a 10x optical zoom would still get me a pretty good zoom right? And what's the story with higher megapixels actually compromising other things? I am willing to sacrifice some low lighting photos although trick or treating was one time recently I was wishing for something other than my iphone 4.
Here's another question... looking at something like the
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 14.1 MP

vs the

Panasonic DMC-FZ150K 12.1 MP What do you get on the latter that you don't get on the former... I saw the former recommended and it seems so much cheaper....

I have always had Canon the last 10 years + and there is just so much out there now....
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:09 PM   #5

Hi- the FZ150 v ZS8 isn't exactly a fair contest...lol
The FZ150 is a cracking "all in one" that will yield good results in pretty much any conditions- and is kitted up to the hilt with just about all features found on most cameras.
It's also a very fast operator- perfect for those spur of the moment shots..!
If you fancy a look at Canon's contender to the FZ150,try the SX40HS...
Here you'll see a head to head....
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...rShot_SX40_HS/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:38 PM   #6

So the Zs8 isn't really going to fit the bill in what I am looking for then right? Off to read the comparison
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:07 PM   #7

Don't get me wrong- the ZS8 is a decent little camera- but it's not really a competitor to the FZ150.
Here's a link to a review of the ZS8(TZ18 here in the UK).
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...c_tz18_review/
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:13 PM   #8

Yeah looks like I am "narrowing" it down to

Fujifilm FinePix HS20
Canon SX40 HS
Sony DSC-HX100V
Panasonic DMC-FZ150K
so narrow.... LOL!

Last edited by sahara910; Nov 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:46 AM   #9

For what it's worth- I think the Canon edges the lot on image quality,with the Panasonic a close second- Canon also has the biggest zoom range,though the Panasonic has more features,a very impressive video,RAW capture,options for external mic's etc.
I actually own the Canon- and am very happy/impressed with it- though I have to confess,I was looking to the FZ150,for its lightning pace and impressive 5.5fps(with autofocus..!) burst- only swayed by a cracking deal/price on the Canon..!!
The Sony looks an interesting proposition and like the Panasonic,is kitted up to the rafters with "toys"- however,I think- like the Fuji- the 16mp actually hinders the image quality. Kudos to Canon and Panasonic to put 12mp CMOS sensors in their offerings here- improving image quality on their older 14mp SX30is and FZ100...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:58 AM   #10

What is a CMOS sensor anyhow/ Sorry if that is a stupid question...
I saw some concern with focus in the Canon? But that superzoom length is darned impressive!
Looks like the pani has the option for the hot shoe where Canon doesnt.....
So you think the 16mp actually becomes an issue vs a plus? Some if this stuff is foreign to me sorry!!

Last edited by sahara910; Nov 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM.