Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:57 PM   #1

Default Panasonic TZ10, 100 to repair. Repair or buy new cam for 100?

The picture quality on my Panasonic TZ10 started to go. With help on this forum, narrowed it down to a failing sensor. Sent it down to repair centre and got this:
Camera requires replacement lens iris and full focus section

Labour : 40.00
Parts : 32.10
Courier : 9.00
Total : 81.10 x vat
Vat : 16.22
Balance : 97.32

I bought it 2nd hand off eBay in March for 150, so no warranty.

I really like the manual focus controls, wide angle and zoom on the TZ10. Spent ages back in March researching cameras and I'm now out the loop with the latest cameras.

My question is: Should I repair the camera for 100 or just buy a new one for 100?
Icaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:17 PM   #2

Tricky one that- repair a "good" camera,or buy a new one for a 100 which is unlikely to measure up to the TZ10....
I might be tempted to up the budget a wee bit and go for a new one with the full guarantee and a spec' closer to the TZ10....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:18 PM   #3

Does the repair cost include some coverage for the other parts on the camera in any future problem? Beyond the actual repair? If not, I'd be tempted to just replace the camera.

no help Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:08 AM   #4

I thought I'd chance it. I gave the repair centre a call. Going to try an get it fixed on warranty, as I supplied an eBay/paypal receipt for when I bought it in March. I've to call be in a few days.

Cheers for the question Kelly, I'll be definitely asking them that if the camera doesn't get fixed on warranty. It's a tough one, as I could get it fixed and never have a problem with it again. If they do provide some future cover then I'll probably just get it fixed. If not, then the new hunt for a camera begins.
Icaris is offline   Reply With Quote