Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamjoshi View Post
HI, i'd suggest u to go for a test of SONY DSLR A560.its amazing..stands superior though Sony may be new to DSLR but gives tough time to Canon or Nikon...these both league leaders don't have built-in image stabiliser but Sony has, which is very important for family photographer or beginners.it is 14 megapx dslr.its sensor is bigger and its cheaper than 550D and somewhat nearer to d3100...has burst speed of 7fps...for family person I wd recommend SONY A560 2ndly Nikon D3100 and Canon 550D!!
I'm sure you're right that the Sony camera is very good. Sony make some very cute products. But I won't buy Sony because of the numerous bad experiences I've had with Sony products of all types. I find they all work perfectly when they're new, but fail very quickly (usually just after the warranty expires) and Sony service is absolutely useless. The worst example was a professional DAT recorder I bought that after 30 months of gentle use (it was supposedly designed for pros but I'm an amateur) started giving digital read errors. Even though it was expensive Sony said they didn't service them as they regarded them as "disposable", and I should buy another one. Or there's the earlier professional analogue sound recorder that died and couldn't be repaired, or the two digicams ditto. And lots of other stuff. Do you know that the faulty component in the Canon Powershoots that Canon are repairing or replacing free years after the warranty expired was a Sony-manufactured sensor - and that Sony fitted the same sensor to their own cameras but won't replace them when they die once the warranty has expired?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
... may end up spending a lot of time playing with RAW files when he should be playing with his camera ...
Not what I had in mind. Spend the time at post games after the trip, or whatever activity is rushing this purchase. Do agree that simply shooting a lot, especially in different situations, is a good first phase. That initial practice may as well be RAW, the LCD reviews on the camera will look exactly like JPG shots. The real RAW challenge is learning the post game, which can be put off until much later.

Kelly

Last edited by KCook; Nov 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:17 AM   #13

I bought the 550d for my first try at dSLR cameras. It's a fine camera, no regrets. 1080p video when I want it, 18mp sensor for plenty of crop ability, and the kit lens gets you started on the right foot. The only reason to look at the T3i (600d?) would be the wireless controller for off-camera flash. That might seem insane today, but after you've played with it for a few months you may find that a valuable addition.

Also, the additional cost of the Canon will be well worth it rather than going entry level Nikon and then upgrading later. As others have aluded to, we buy the camera body, but we marry the system. Once you've pluncked down a thousand or two for lenses there's no switching, at least not without a monetary penalty.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:25 AM   #14

On the wireless controller on the T3i, I have one on my 7D and find I prefer to use a separate one. The onboard one is more restricted in its usefulness. Don't know whether that would also be true of the T3i, but for my money I'd buy the 550D, especially at the price its available for from CLP.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:10 AM   #15

Hi just a couple of comments from me you have done the touchy feely thing and you seem to lean towards Nikon thats ok. its already been said about the differences between the 550d and d3100 so looking at that maybe go try the d5000 or d5100. On a personnel note the canon 550d is a fine camera I have one. Good Luck.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote