Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:08 PM   #1

Default canon 300 VS sony DSC-Wx9 ????

alright ive narrowed my camera options to two picks : canon ELPH 300 or the sony DSC-WX9
im wondering which of the two takes better indoor pictures, has the best overall picture quality, has the best videos.
i have both of them already but im sending one back.. just wanted other peoples' oppinions also.
so far i havent really seen a difference in picture/video quality but also havent had a chance to really 'play' with either.
the canon has alot more color effects whereas the sony has background defocus as well as 3-D pictures.
such a tough choice!!!
ally816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2

For a video test I'd do a very slow pan with both, see if their stabilization features make any difference.

For still photography, also check how the flash units work at various distances. And as fill light for closeups in daylight.

Otherwise, for most of us it would be mostly a matter of which camera had the more comfortable controls. Built-in effects sound cool, but rarely actually come into play.

Kelly Cook
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
For a video test I'd do a very slow pan with both, see if their stabilization features make any difference.

For still photography, also check how the flash units work at various distances. And as fill light for closeups in daylight.

Otherwise, for most of us it would be mostly a matter of which camera had the more comfortable controls. Built-in effects sound cool, but rarely actually come into play.

Kelly Cook

thanks. i will try those tests and see if my decision gets easier:]. and youre right i guess when it comes down to it the built in color effects and such arent really that important especially since when youre in a moment where you really want to capture a picture usually you dont have time to got thru and change the settings first
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4

It can be worthwhile to learn enough about the various Scene settings to find which are most useful for you. Most casual users never go there, always leave the camera in Auto.

Another "feature" worth investigating is the manual ISO settings. Some compact cameras have their controls set up so that you are very limited in what modes will even allow the user to set the ISO.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
It can be worthwhile to learn enough about the various Scene settings to find which are most useful for you. Most casual users never go there, always leave the camera in Auto.

Another "feature" worth investigating is the manual ISO settings. Some compact cameras have their controls set up so that you are very limited in what modes will even allow the user to set the ISO.

Kelly

i have been exploring all the settings and such. i do use more than just the auto settings. so far i havent really decided which ones i will actually use tho. thats alot of why i posted on here. but i guess this is mostly just personal preference given the fact that quality of images and video are very smiliar, though i havent tested them in every situation yet...