Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Default Looking for a new camera

Thinking about these 2, looking for pro's, and cons.

Panasonic FZ35
Fuji HS-10
BigDaddy12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:02 PM   #2

G'day BD

There's plenty of chatter on Steve's about these 2 cameras & their successors, the FZ100/150 and the HS20 ~ suggest that you look into these posts as well as responses to this Q

Each of the cameras is 'good'
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:03 PM   #3

Default Newer versions available

Hi-
Just out of curiousity- is there a particular reason you're looking at 2 camera's which have both been supersceded by later versions?
The Pan FZ series have a good reputation... I have an FZ-40, a nice camera. Just got an HS-20, the successor to the HS-10 you're looking at... I just got it today, so can't offer much of an opinion on the 20 other than to say I think it'll be a keeper. I like the build quality, the accessability of the main functions, etc.
Good luck!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:12 PM   #4

The only reason I picked these 2 cams, is because when I joined this forum , probably 2 years ago now, these re the 2 tht were suggested to me. If there are newer ones oout there that are better, I am open to suggestions. I just know that I want a super zoom.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:53 PM   #5

A lot has changed in 2 years!!! It's like in computers and phones... last month's models are old already~
The current Panny Lumix model is the FZ-150, and highly regarded, as is Canon's latest- the SX-40. I bought the Canon, and just didn't like it... so I returned it after about 48 hours. I just got Fujifilm's latest- the HS-20, and while it doesn't have the reach of the Canon (30x vs. 36x), I like the camera a lot better. I like the fit, feel and finish- menu structure, just about everything about it. I'm learning that I find the Fuji menu structures more instinctive and user-friendly.. before the HS-20, I also have the S-200 EXR- and liked it very much. If possible, I'd recommend you try to find a store where you can hold and try a camera in your hands before you buy, as at least to me, a camera is a very personal object, and what you might like- I might not, and what I like you might not. I'm very picky when it comes to cameras- and I'm finding out I'm a Fujifilm guy through and through. (That includes Nikon as well!)
Good luck in your search, superzooms are a lot of fun.
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:55 PM   #6

Hi BigDaddy12t- the latest kids on the block are-
Panasonic DMC FZ150
Canon SX40HS
Sony HX100V
Fujifilm HS20

All have their pros and cons- the Panasonic is a quick operator,well built,great video,raw capture etc,the Canon possibly leads in IQ,the Sony has a few intriguing features on board and the Fuji has the oh so useful manual zoom....
Easy choice then,eh...!!

For what it's worth,I have the Canon and find it a very capable performer- though it was a close call with the Panasonic for me- only swayed by a great deal on the Canon at the time..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:40 PM   #7

Wow! Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the updates.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:37 PM   #8

the panasonic and the canon are the two i'm going back and forth on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Hi BigDaddy12t- the latest kids on the block are-
Panasonic DMC FZ150
Canon SX40HS
Sony HX100V
Fujifilm HS20

All have their pros and cons- the Panasonic is a quick operator,well built,great video,raw capture etc,the Canon possibly leads in IQ,the Sony has a few intriguing features on board and the Fuji has the oh so useful manual zoom....
Easy choice then,eh...!!

For what it's worth,I have the Canon and find it a very capable performer- though it was a close call with the Panasonic for me- only swayed by a great deal on the Canon at the time..!!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote