Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:22 AM   #1

Default Nikon d3100 or Canon 550D or Nikon d5100.Choose among these,only one

Nikon d3100 or Canon 550D or Nikon d5100.Choose among these,only one and Reason please !
I want best image quality and low light capabilities...fine vdo is OK..
satyamjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:33 AM   #2

What type of low light work are you wanting to do? Depending on that answer, you may need a different lens or external flash or tripod. The camera body is only part of the equation.

As for image quality - the truth is the difference at ISOs 1600 and below will be negligible. They really come down to personal preference for default processing in camera (i.e. each brand of camera treats colors a little bit different - some might prefer nikon over canon and vice versa - but with photo editing software and especially raw - that point is moot).

So, provide some more information as to what type of photography you're doing in low light - knowing how much you might have to spend on the other gear might change your choice of body.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3

One reason- The 550D accepts ALL Canon EF/EFS lenses.....
The D3100 and the D5100 doesn't accept all the Nikon lenses...

With regards image quality- there will be very little in it between the three...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:04 PM   #4

Hi my advice go try them, remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure it can do what you want and has the lenses you need. If it feels right then that goes a long way dont settle for I will get used to it.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:12 AM   #5

Default canon 550d vs nikon d5100

Hello,
I dint know where to post so this is where i landed up.
I am very confused between a canon 550d and a nikon d5100.
I am looking for a dslr that will keep me good for a long time so i can invest on lenses rather than worrying about upgrading my body.

I am getting a canon 550d with the 18-55 kit lens and a prime lens(50mm, 1.8) for just a lil d5over the100(with only its kit lens).
Which do you think will be a better buy??
tushar_online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
... good for a long time so i can invest on lenses ...
As that is your goal, this is not the time to worry a lot on which is the better buy. To meet your long time goal, first decide which brand fits you best, then go in search of deals for that one brand. Decent deals can be found for both brands, at least in the USA. Markets for some countries can be skewed.

Kelly Cook
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:03 AM   #7

Default hi

Kelly Cook, noted. But wanted to know whether nikon's entry level lens's politics could affect me anyhow? I think the nikon d5100 fits me alright, but is it worth missing the canon 50mm prime, which seems to be a takeaway.
Also I read that the nikon 5100 has a much better dynamic range. Does it really matter?
PS: could you make out how confused I am. Hoping you could help me!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:44 AM   #8

Canon does have the price advantage for the 50mm prime. Unless you bump your Nikon body choice up to a model that has the focus drive in the body. However, at 35mm, it's Nikon that has the price advantage. And 35mm is what corresponds to a "normal" focal length for these crop sensor bodies. Of course the 50mm is preferred for portrait work.

Dynamic range matters some if shots taken in bad lighting are important to you. When I shoot in bad light, I simply have lower expectations. There are other factors in camera design and performance that I fuss over more than dynamic range. Depends on your own priorities.

What brand do your friends with DSLR cameras have? It's nice to be able to swap tips on shooting. Spend some time in a store handling these cameras. Checking their control layout, menu organization, lens handling, etc. For some of us these basic design differences trump performance reports.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:49 PM   #9

Default hi

So is the 35mm for nikon, good enough for portrait work and landscape? If its so, Nikon does come out better for me. I have tested both cameras and although the canon comes out a lil better given its dedicated ISO button and an easier interface(slightly i would say), but the larger sensor and better low light performance of nikon puts me in favour of nikon. Also being a year better in technology and the swivel screen.

Thanks for your time. Appreciate it.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10

The 35mm focal length, on a crop body like the D5100, can be used for portraits, but that doesn't mean it is good for portraits. For most of us "portrait" means a head shot, so you are positioned pretty close to your subject. With a 35mm, too close for an undistorted view. If portrait means full body, that backs you away, and the 35mm would be Ok in that case. Here is a link to a site that trys to sort this all out -

http://www.photomatters.org/lens-matters

Of course you could shoot a portrait with a 35mm lens from a better distance, and crop later in editing to get the head shot.

35mm is much more useful for landscapes than 50mm. Again, see that site on the different lens choices.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote