Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:59 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the advice. I purchased a panasonic ZS 8 on sale Sunday but haven't had much time to play yet.
obxdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:07 PM   #12

Fuji has best value for big zooms. Some say IQ of Panasonic is better, but you get less MPs and zoom, and pay more.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:19 AM   #13

on the other hand, less megapixels sometimes means less noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romphotog View Post
Fuji has best value for big zooms. Some say IQ of Panasonic is better, but you get less MPs and zoom, and pay more.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
on the other hand, less megapixels sometimes means less noise.
you are right. I am informing Nikon and Canon ASAP, demanding they go back to 4mp. otherwise, I am going back to film as 35mm ISO100 = 50mp. Oh, and the sensors are bigger too.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:48 AM   #15

they know. panasonic and canon recently lowered the megapixels on some of their cameras, and according to professional reviewers and some users, the result was better quality pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romphotog View Post
you are right. I am informing Nikon and Canon ASAP, demanding they go back to 4mp. otherwise, I am going back to film as 35mm ISO100 = 50mp. Oh, and the sensors are bigger too.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:03 PM   #16

G'day all

All the camera companies know about pixels vs IQ/noise, and most are reducing pixels. Panny for example have dropped from 14mpx back to 12mpx, and in the 4/3rds range, both Oly & Panny have chosen 10 or 12mpx to be their 'standard' from now on

Personally - I think most 'weekender photographers' don't need more than 6mpx, and I wish that camera companies would return to sensors of that size and concentrate on features rather than micro-small pixels that produce noise & lowered IQ performance

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:02 PM   #17

I think there should be a choice. I have owned both a (Canon) G11 and G12, and went back to a G10 because the IQ is so much better. Granted low light performance isn't great and it's better from the later models, but IMO they are both still inadequate. I'd rather have a camera that truly excels when the conditions are right.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:33 AM   #18

One point I'd like t point out is when I got the Fuji HS20 I was shooting on full resolution 16MP for the newspaper and they immediately asked me to lower the file size and I shoot in 12MP and they said the photos looked better as full page covers in 12MP than in 16MP........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day all

All the camera companies know about pixels vs IQ/noise, and most are reducing pixels.
Regards, Phil
Well, that's a strange thing to do. Going backwards aint we now.Guess film lovers are laughing all the way... jingle bells digilovers :-)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:42 AM   #20

I think it's only a temporary retreat. Once they work out how to control noise they'll continue the quest for higher resolution.