Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:45 PM   #1

Default super zoom decision

Some opinions please which will give better image quality and ease of use? The Olympus SZ 10 or the Panasonic dmc SZ8. Seems like the Panasonic has more features but the lcd is less vibrant. I don't know if that should be a deciding factor or not. Suggestions? Is the image quality on any of these superzooms good enough to choose a superzoom over a smaller more standard zoom in a point and shoot?
obxdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:28 PM   #2

I haven't studied the subject,but I know several people with super zooms and I've never seen one that produces results that are to me even halfway acceptable.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I haven't studied the subject,but I know several people with super zooms and I've never seen one that produces results that are to me even halfway acceptable.
Really? How about this?

Or this?

Or this?

How about this?

Maybe this?

All of these captured with a superzoom. Most of them have been PoTD or PoTM here or on other sites so, obviously, they are QUITE acceptable to knowledgeable people. These are NOT fluke or lucky captures. Check out my gallery. Perhaps, you SHOULD study the subject before offering advice to someone searching for a knowledgeable source.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Nov 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:00 AM   #4

Default superzoom

Gary your photos ate amazing! You used a bridge camera for these? Im. Looking foe a pocketable superzoom to use on the fly, but wondering if the clarity will compare to s bridge camera. Is it better in pocket cameras to stay with lower zoom capability? I will be shooting landscapes, kids surfing, and family gatherings. Anyone out there have a camera to recommend? Any panasonic ZS 8 or Olympus sz 10 owners out there?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdaze View Post
Gary your photos ate amazing! You used a bridge camera for these? Im. Looking foe a pocketable superzoom to use on the fly, but wondering if the clarity will compare to s bridge camera. Is it better in pocket cameras to stay with lower zoom capability? I will be shooting landscapes, kids surfing, and family gatherings. Anyone out there have a camera to recommend? Any panasonic ZS 8 or Olympus sz 10 owners out there?
Yup. These were taken with the Fujifilm HS-20. I have JUST received the F300EXR but have yet to get out to really use it for other than playing around.

I can highly recommend the Panasonic ZSx series OR the Fujifilm F300EXR, F500EXR, F550EXR. I own the F300EXR and have owned the ZS3 and ZS7. The newer pocket superzooms are MUCH better than what was out just a couple of years ago.

You can achieve a LOT with these cameras. BUT, as with any camera, you have to stay within it's capabilities. To know it's capabilities, you have to take LOTS of photos in LOTS of conditions in LOTS of modes to know what works best in a given situation. In other words, play with it. The IS is very good but not perfect, use some sort of brace, tripod, monopod to steady the camera... especially when racked out.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Nov 27, 2011 at 6:25 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:20 AM   #6

Default superzoom decision

Thanks. The reviews on the fujifilm EXR's sound impressive! I can't find a EXR 300 online only the 500 and up versions. My local store doesn't have one to handle either but it does have the panasonic zs8 on sale for $179. I'm leaning towards it based on features, however, the Olympus I mentioned (same price) has a nicer feel and larger clearer lcd. Of course the photo quality is more important. Any comments out there on the Olympus? Again, Gary your gallery shows much talent! Thank you. I will also probably be taking the step up to a DSLR with a zoom lens for the action shots at the beach. I just know I won't want to lug the thing around all the time and I don't have spare time enough to dedicate to learning the nuances of a complicated system. Any thoughts out there on a good consumer DSLR with growth potential?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:19 AM   #7

Hi obxdaze- as Gary suggests,superzoom cameras are capable of great results- in the right hands. The Panasonic "ZS" series (TZ here in the UK) are very popular and are also capable of good results across a wide range of photographic situations.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Gary - I wasn't giving advice, just making an observation that I stick to. I will say though that your pictures are very good, and I'll follow your posts. If my G10 dies at any point or if I want something a little more flexible I'll check back!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post

You can achieve a LOT with these cameras. BUT, as with any camera, you have to stay within it's capabilities. To know it's capabilities, you have to take LOTS of photos in LOTS of conditions in LOTS of modes to know what works best in a given situation. In other words, play with it. The IS is very good but not perfect, use some sort of brace, tripod, monopod to steady the camera... especially when racked out.
100% agree.

jj
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdaze View Post
Thanks. The reviews on the fujifilm EXR's sound impressive! I can't find a EXR 300 online only the 500 and up versions. My local store doesn't have one to handle either but it does have the panasonic zs8 on sale for $179. I'm leaning towards it based on features, however, the Olympus I mentioned (same price) has a nicer feel and larger clearer lcd. Of course the photo quality is more important. Any comments out there on the Olympus? Again, Gary your gallery shows much talent! Thank you. I will also probably be taking the step up to a DSLR with a zoom lens for the action shots at the beach. I just know I won't want to lug the thing around all the time and I don't have spare time enough to dedicate to learning the nuances of a complicated system. Any thoughts out there on a good consumer DSLR with growth potential?
Olympus and Fuji have some the very best jpg engines on the market today. I like Oly a lot as witness by me owning an E-620. But, there's a lot going on corporate-wise with Oly these days that I'm not too sure about. Fuji keeps coming out with new and innovative technology, their lenses are excellent, they tend to fit my hands and budget better, and the IQ is really good. The field is so wide open on entry level DSLRs. Aside from price and IQ, a couple of things that *I* look for are: in-body IS, lens price and availability, how it actually feels in my hands, intuitive menus, accessory price/availability. This *MY* list. Your's may be different. With this criteria in mind, I like The Pentax Kr a lot. If I were not already heavily invested in Oly, this would be the DSLR I would choose. And, don't misunderstand me, I *do* like my E-620 very much. Again, I can't speak for everyone and won't even attempt to. This is *MY* preference in what I *would* buy if I had to start over in DSLR.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Nov 27, 2011 at 1:38 PM.