Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1

Default Need Help choosing which Nikon to Buy?

I am looking shoot portraits indoor and outdoor. I have been looking at the D3100, D5100 & D7000. I'm needing help deciding which camera is good for what I will be doing. Price isn't a issue deciding between these 3 SLR's. If I can save money and get the the D3100 or D5100 and put the rest of my money towards lens then I will do it. But if I need to get the D7000 I am fully capable of doing that plus the lenses as well.

Next question is which lenses are best for doing portraits and family group shots indoor and outdoor? my main thing is getting info on the best camera and lenses for what I will be doing which will be portraits. I would like to have around 4 good lenses to buy specifically for portrait shooting indoor and outdoor.

Thanks in advance
New Vision Multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:42 AM   #2

The D7000 is a much better camera than the D5100, and the D5100 is a much better camera than the D3100. What matters, though, is that the image quality of the D3100 is not as good as that of the D5100, while the image quality of the D5100 and the D7000 are about equal. (See DxOMark's image sensor comparisons.) So you should definitely skip the D3100, but while there are differences between the D5100 and the D7000, none of them would make a lot of difference for what you say you want to do.

As for lenses, I'd suggest Nikon's 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 85/1.8 and 50/1.8, though for indoor group candids, the 35/1.8 might be handy too. If cost is a consideration, you could substitute the Tamron 28-75/2.8 for the Nikon 24-70/2.8, and/or either Sigma's or Tamron's 70-200/2.8 for Nikon's.

You might also want to investigate lighting and other studio necessities like backdrops.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:49 AM   #3

Hi are you going to do this professionally.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:04 AM   #4

Yes this is something I'm looking to do full time professionally.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Vision Multimedia View Post
Yes this is something I'm looking to do full time professionally.
What you have to realize - lighting is the most important thing. Especially for indoor portraits. And, along those lines - relevant studio space. Are you investigating those aspects? You're not going to do much professional work with just camera/lens - especially for indoor portraits.

Are you investigating the other equipment - back drops, props, strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, etc. as well?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
What you have to realize - lighting is the most important thing. Especially for indoor portraits. And, along those lines - relevant studio space. Are you investigating those aspects? You're not going to do much professional work with just camera/lens - especially for indoor portraits.

Are you investigating the other equipment - back drops, props, strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, etc. as well?
Yes I am also investing in that equipment as well. If you could tell me what name brands are better than others that would help a great bit.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7

if you don't have any lenses, why does the camera need to be a nikon? also if you want to do weddings or similar stuff, wouldn't a full frame sensor be a huge - but expensive - plus?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:29 AM   #8
Super Moderator

If you are setting up a studio then big, expensive FX f2.8 zooms are a waste of resources. With controlled backgrounds and studio lighting you will be shooting mostly at f8-f11. Any mid-range lens will be fine.

You will do better to concentrate on a good lighting setup. At least 2x500w for a small studio space plus possibly a monoblock, softboxes, reflectors, umbrellas, a lighting boom if you can afford it and of course remote triggers. With a larger studio you are going to need one 750-1500w head plus one or two 500w.

Also, you are going to need more than one camera to run a studio. 2xD5100 with kit lenses and an 85 f1.8 should be fine to get you started.

Last edited by peripatetic; Dec 3, 2011 at 4:32 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote