Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:26 PM   #1

Default Canon Powershot A300Is Lage Between Shots

Hi,

I want to buy an inexpensive camera for my grandson. It looks like the Canon Powershot A3300 IS might be a good choice, but I am concerned about reviews that say it has a significant delay between shots. The other concern I have is about the weak flash. Will it be sufficient to take good indoor photos that aren't too dark?

I own a Sony DSC-H5 that was rated well when I purchased it, but now I can hardly take pictures with it because of the delay in taking shots and the extremely poor battery life. I don't want to get another camera with serious flaws.

Can anyone speak to this lag between shots and if the flash will be adequate to take decent indoor photos.
hsgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:22 PM   #2

G'day HS

Thanks for your Q - and it's great to find another gramp working with his grandson

Trouble for us to answer this Q best is that we don't know enough -how old is this young fella? -what sort of photography will he be doing? -how much of his camera work will be flash? etc etc

Looking at dpreview, it shows me that the camera is a small slip-in-the-pocket compact ... ie- small camera = small battery
Your grandson could do several things to overcome 'some' of the issues you refer to-
a) have a second battery in his pocket for those occasions when he's shooting more than 200 images per photo session;
b) set the camera's ISO sensitivity to 800 or 1600 for his flash work ~ ie- by increasing the ISO sensitivity, the camera will 'see' further out into the flash-lit area

As to 'dwell/delay' time between images, there is little or nothing you can do to about this beyond swapping to a different camera ~ and that may be irrelevent anyway as you/we don't know what photographic future is ahead of the boy

Hope that this is of some help
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:51 PM   #3

Default Powershot A3300 IS

Wow, I just saw how many typing mistakes I made! Even in the title. I need to pay more attention!

Thank you, Phil. My grandson is only 8 years old, but he is in a photography class where they are learning about some pretty advanced things for his age. Each week they must take photos of different things, in different settings (both indoors & out). They are learning about centering, shadows, night shots, stills, portraits, action shots, and many more things.

He is really enjoying the class, but he must share a camera with his sister who is also taking the class (different class period). My camera is always out of battery (sigh) so that doesn't help him much. I want to get him a camera that will help him learn to take great photos, but not frustrate him. A friend (age 16), who is in the class with his sister, recommended the Fujifilm S3400, but it is more than I can spend. Her photos look terrific!

I hope this is enough information to help you answer my questions. I did not really see an issue defined with battery life on the PS A3300 IS. I was just lamenting that I didn't want a big issue in a camera of that nature.

On the PS A3300 IS, I did see that the flash is weak and there's that issue of lag between photos (which frustrates me when photographing moving targets like kids). If these issues can be "lived with", this might be the camera for him. The price is certainly right. If the lag & flash are big enough issues then I need a recommendation in the $100 - slightly over $100 range.
ndm105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:33 PM   #4

G'day again ... I'm not sure to whom I am replying > HS or NDM, but it doesn't matter really :-)

Taking your last point first - a price range "of around $100"...
will set the tone / range of cameras and their abilities, and to my eye, this is probably a good area for an 8yr old to be in. No point giving an 8yr old a [big & heavy] superzoom or a dSLR

I have just spent a couple of minutes on "Dpreview.com" to look into the Fuji range of point 'n shoot'-ers and they have several possibilities
Their 'simple' cameras are prefixed with "A" or "J" and many have AA batteries - probably a good choice for a child as AA batteries are easily available and widely used with other things

They have multiple offerings with either 3x or 5x zoom; scene modes where semi-auto or manual options would be preferred by us adults; flash goes to about 3,5m @ISO-200 therefore will increase at ISO-800 etc etc; 12 - 14- 16mpx offerings tho I would go for the smallest megapixels for better image quality, and [for children] brightly coloured cases!!!!!!

Hope this helps in some way
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:22 PM   #5

i think the A3300 is probably a good choice considering the price range.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote