Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:16 PM   #11

Yes alonstr6- all taken with SX40HS. IQ is image quality.
I uploaded these shots(taken today) just to give you an idea of the IQ at very high iso settings,in low light- which I think are pretty decent.
These shots- all hand held- would have been impossible to take just a couple of years ago with a bridge camera. Using iso settings between 1250 and 3200 would have been unthinkable,resulting in horrific images.
Of course,these images could be bettered still by using lower iso's and a tripod....
I just thought I'd show what was possible using one of it's preset modes.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:25 PM   #12

they look great - did you denoise the pics at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Yes alonstr6- all taken with SX40HS. IQ is image quality.
I uploaded these shots(taken today) just to give you an idea of the IQ at very high iso settings,in low light- which I think are pretty decent.
These shots- all hand held- would have been impossible to take just a couple of years ago with a bridge camera. Using iso settings between 1250 and 3200 would have been unthinkable,resulting in horrific images.
Of course,these images could be bettered still by using lower iso's and a tripod....
I just thought I'd show what was possible using one of it's preset modes.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:15 PM   #13

Also do you have a 100% crop. The is a sticky if you want to show Image quality without the original size file, it does not give a honest example of the iq. I have some nice low light shots. But when view in large print of on my 30inch screen looks good, but when view in large format, you really see the short coming.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...a-quality.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:06 AM   #14

pcake- no de-noising done,just a touch of saturation adjustment.
shoturtle- most(probably all) who are considering purchasing a "bridge" camera will probably never print beyond A3- A4 even. Pixel peeping will reveal flaws on ANY digital camera- even an expensive DSLR,especially at high iso settings.
Obsessive pixel peepers should own a film/medium format camera- then they could see REAL resolution and quality- and even print an image the size of their living room wall if they so wish.
The purpose of these images posted here was to illustrate what the SX40 is capable of in less than ideal lighting conditions,without a flash,using crazy iso settings,handheld and displaying them at a size with which they're likely to be viewed or printed- in the vast majority of cases.
However- in the interests of completeness- here's a crop from the vaulted ceiling at a size which would roughly equate to a 66x48 inch print..!!
Bear in mind that this was taken at iso 3200- AND the image has been compressed to display here,which also deteriorates quality.
Using a tripod/self timer and lower iso settings would obviously result in far higher quality image from this camera- I was deliberately displaying it at its worst to show how far bridge cameras have progressed.
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Dec 9, 2011 at 5:13 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:00 AM   #15

thanks. that's amazing for a p&s at such a high ISO. heck, there are larger sensor cameras that don't come close that that.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:17 AM   #16

This is more in line with what I would expect in noise. It is pretty good for a small sensor. You can see the noise from the corp.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:05 AM   #17

Yep- all in all,a very decent effort from the SX40hs.
These shots were taken in "handheld nightscene" mode,which rattles off a couple of quick frames and combines them for a decent 12mp low noise/low-light image.
Ironically- the "Low-light" mode,which downsizes to 3mp is less effective- though still not too bad- and selecting iso 3200 in the manual exposure modes again,is not as effective as the "handheld nightscene" mode.
Of course,as already mentioned- for static subjects in low light,you would ideally use low iso's with a tripod and longer exposure times- for perfectly crisp,clean shots.
And for anything moving around indoors- pop up the flash,or stick a flashgun on the top if at range....
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:46 PM   #18

first of all thank you very for helping, i was pretty sure that i was going to buy the canon SX 40 but then i saw some reviews about the panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 and i wanted to know which one do you recommend regarding IQ?
I dont think that there is much differnce in the optical zoom, X35 Vs X24

thank you
alonstr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:02 PM   #19

The reach is a big diffract with 24x vx 25x.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:53 AM   #20

To be honest- I'm not sure the SX40's extra reach is a big deal breaker- unless you shoot everything at 840mm..!
The FZ-150 is quite a compelling package- well built,probably handles better than the Canon,has RAW shooting capability,by all accounts a better video mode,lightning fast focusing,a 12 fps burst and an even more impressive 5.5 fps with auto-focus..!!
Purely a personal thing- but looks better too!!
These two cameras were in my radar when looking for an "all in one" and only swung the way of the Canon because I was offered one at a great price- and I do believe the Canon has the better IQ- but it's a close call on that score too...!