Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Default Suprise Christmas present for the wife!

hi everyone

I am looking for a new camera for the wife. she has a terrible time using our trusty D70 and her camera phone on her Epic just doesn't cut it. she is handicapped and is often in a wheelchair, so small size is good. we do have twin girls which are about 15 months old, and very active. I would like to get something she can use for a few years that has decent zoom, as she isn't able to always be with us up close on/in the playground. I've had pretty decent luck with Canon(looking at either SD4500 or XS230HS) Point and Shoot before, but I'm looking for the absolute best I can get for around $150-250. I would say PQ is the most important factor, then the ability to use both indoors and outdoors in low light conditions. we live in an old house and despite my best efforts, the lighting usually sucks. Fast operation is another important factor, a previous Sony I had was slow as hell and she hated it.

thank you for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated, and happy holidays!
whymeintrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:41 AM   #2

Hi- Canon's SX130 or SX150 might be worth a look.
A pretty decent all-rounder in your price range,with a nice complement of full manual modes and auto also. It's not as small as some,but nice to hold and easy to use/understand with Canons typically straight forward user interface.
The biggest stumbling block in your price range,however,will be the low-light capability- typically the preserve of a compact with a faster(wide aperture) lens- and costing quite a bit also... something like Canon's S95..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:42 AM   #3

I would look at the s95 its not bad for its price point
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:48 AM   #4

My only concern with the previously mentioned cameras are the zoom level. How good is it?

I am willing to put up more money if the quality justifies it. I just really need something that she will enjoy taking pictures and printing them out occassionally .

Thank you again for your efforts.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:42 PM   #5

What exactly was the problem with the D70, besides the fact that it is a Nikon?
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:42 PM   #6

The zoom on the SX150 is 12x(equivalent of 28-336mm) and the S95 is just shy of 4x(28-105mm) The S95's range is more than ample for general shooting,while the SX150 goes a great deal further- ideal for isolating subjects at a distance.
iowa_jim... "... besides the fact it's a Nikon..." LOL
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:06 PM   #7

G'day whyme...

I read your post with interest - good on you for wanting to do your best for your loved one. I have a brother-in-law with MS and who is also wheelchair-bound, and watch his body fading away, muscles that are starting to go, things that slip thru his fingers, and his previous physical abilities [enough said] ...

However ...
I would caution you at this stage ~ as she may/will have a very good idea of what will fit into her fingers and how well she can see the LCD screen / eyepiece

I would invite you to consider short-listing here what seems to fit your budget, and then take her into the camera shop to test & try and let her choose. Give her some 'ownership' of the project and I reckon that you'll have very happy 'customer' in your camp after that

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
What exactly was the problem with the D70, besides the fact that it is a Nikon?
Way too large for her to hande constantly.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whymeintrouble View Post
Way too large for her to hande constantly.
A 4/3 camera might be the ticket if you want the large sensor/low light performance coulped with a few lens options.

The S95 has excellent IQ with a much larger- than-most sensor, and it's price has never been lower than right now, but it's a difficult camera to hold.

If you're willing to go all the way to the small sensor cameras, I'd imagine that a superzoom would be appropriate if for no other reason than they have a decent grip.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:58 PM   #10

well, I looked harder at both the s95 and s100. I decided on the s100, seems to be easier to handle than the s95. From the couple of pics I took, easy to use.