Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:45 AM   #1

Default My dilemma on "what camera to buy"!!

Hi guys,

Hopefully you guys can help me with my problem xD

My dad is coming near to retirement and he is looking to start picking up photography as a hobby. As he ask me for opinions, I suggested DSLR and micro4/3. I did researches in both this system...but I'm still stuck on what exactly should he get.

He used to own a SLR camera in the old days...but it wasn't well kept. So now planning on getting a new one. But the micro4/3 cameras existence is very hard to ignore and just get a DSLR right away! haha!

I am pretty familiar with the price range of getting DSLR, but not so with the micro4/3. A few questions are - Is micro4/3 lenses really limited? Is it very expensive compared to DSLR lenses? How does the performance stack up against DSLR?

Lastly, what camera models should I be considering?
next2fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:19 AM   #2

What does he want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3

I would reason as follows."nearing retirement" is entering the elderly group.In principle light weight,relatively smaller sized gear would seem logical.Hence go mirrorless four-thirds or Mirrorless APS-C way.Plenty of lenses are available and are being continually added.It is the future.
good luck to your gear- hunt for your dad.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:11 PM   #4

Micro4/3 lens choices are Ok for the usual zooms. Wide angle lenses and fast primes are slim pickings.

I'm well into retirement and I lug a Canon EOS 50D with 28-135 (big ole full frame super zoom). Let your dad pick the camera himself.

Kelly Cook
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:01 PM   #5

I tend to have the potentially opposite view to wannaclick. Some men, especially as they get older, have more difficulty with smaller gadgets. I suggest taking him to a store and letting him try out various cameras to see what feels good to him. What feels good to him may be completely different than what feels good to you, me or anyone else. If it doesn't feel good, it will be an expensive paper weight.

Also, along those same lines - does he want a viewfinder or does he want to compose using the lcd on the back of the camera. This is a big decision point as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:26 PM   #6

Also how good is his vision, as the evf of the Olympus have excellent, and as a glasses person. It has some advantages over my dslr ovf. But the olympus Evf adds to the cost of the system.

Lenses is ok or limiting depending on the m4/3 route you take. For example Olympus m4/3 gives you more advantages over the penny. Olympus works well with all the Panasonic lenses. Panasonic bodies with Olympus is not as well suited. Without stabization, some of the longer zoom lenses can be challenging. Example, the penny 100-300 is really the only lens you want to use on a penny body, at 600mm eq it is very hard to used if it did not have ois in the lens. But it is not as good as the Olympus 75-300 but at 600mm it would be difficult to use if the lighting was not excellent with the penny body. As Olympus has stabilization in the body.

Fast primes, there are a decent option, starting with a 14mm 2.8, 17mm 2.8, 20mm 1.7, 25mm f2, 45mm 1.8

Macro you have less option with only a 45 2.8 currently, or conversion lens option with m4/3 lenses. Or you can go the route with a 4/3 lens adapter, then you can use all the Olympus dslr or 3rd party macro lenses for the Olympus dslr, it does focus slower. But not to big of a deal as it is macro.

A entry dslr will be less expensive of a body to start out with, and give you more lens options. But cost of the lenses are comparable to m4/3.

But your dad really need to handle the 2 system to see which one he feels more comfortable with, not just using but carrying around as well. There is a size and weight difference.

Ps

If he is into sports or action photography, forget the m4/3 option. Not a good system for the type of photography. Go with a Canon or Nikon dslr system for that.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:11 PM   #7

As a large man in his upper 50's with big hands, I tend to agree with John. I hate little cameras, and in fact, the fact that Pentax brought the size down slightly on its latest APS-C incarnations is a negative to me. But, the most important think to let him try the different cameras for feel. It has to feel good to the shooter.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:13 PM   #8

I think it is completely up to the shooter, my father in law is 70, and does not like any heavy camera as he is living that retired life with allot of vacations. He like lighter cameras now. And find using my 60D on trips a boat anchor to carry around. Get your dad to try it out and see if the size and weight of the gears he will be carrying for his new hobby is comfortable for him. Not just the body, but the lenses as well.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:12 PM   #9

Hence, my original question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
What does he want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote